Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: can't get the app running please help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: can't get the app running please help

Quote Originally Posted by Holger_Gehrke View Post
    Packages for 64 bit PC-Systems are named amd64 because Intel had a different 64 bit architecture called Itanium which failed to get any significant market share, mainly because performance with existing 32-bit code was really bad. All PC-processors sold today use AMD's way of doing 64 bit programs no matter whether they are made by AMD or Intel. So unless you are in fact using an Itanium-based Workstation the *_amd64.deb file should run on your system.

Holger
    32-bit programs are named i386 in honor of the Intel i386, the first commercial 32-bit CPU.

64-bit programs are named AMD64 in honor of the AMD Athlon 64, the first commercial 64-bit CPU.

It's just nomenclature. If it's a 32-bit file, it'll work on AMD or Intel, and the same is true of 64-bit programs.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nwicked View Post
    my system is i386

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Please post the output from the commands
    Code:
    uname -a
    and
    Code:
    lscpu
    in CODE tags.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Code:
    Linux KJ 4.15.0-76-generic #86-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 17 17:25:21 UTC 2020 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux
    kj@KJ:~$

Architecture:        i686
    CPU op-mode(s):      32-bit, 64-bit
    Byte Order:          Little Endian
    CPU(s):              4
    On-line CPU(s) list: 0-3
    Thread(s) per core:  2
    Core(s) per socket:  2
    Socket(s):           1
    Vendor ID:           GenuineIntel
    CPU family:          6
    Model:               42
    Model name:          Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2365M CPU @ 1.40GHz
    Stepping:            7
    CPU MHz:             1023.048
    CPU max MHz:         1400.0000
    CPU min MHz:         800.0000
    BogoMIPS:            2793.58
    Virtualization:      VT-x
    L1d cache:           32K
    L1i cache:           32K
    L2 cache:            256K
    L3 cache:            3072K
    Flags:               fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer xsave avx lahf_lm epb pti ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid xsaveopt dtherm arat pln pts md_clear flush_l1d
    kj@KJ:~$
    The installed system is 32 bit though
    Last edited by QIII; April 23rd, 2020 at 06:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So, you chose Lubuntu because I run heavily loaded web tabs which require lots of ram but then you end up installing the 32-bit version on 64-bit hardware??? BTW, 32-bit LIMITS the amount of usable RAM so there's that! Also, if you are so RAM constrained that the Desktop Environment makes a difference you definitely need more RAM, not a lighter distro. Lighter distros are ideal for very old hardware that is actually limited in the maximum amount of RAM it supports. Not really applicable to a Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2365M CPU @ 1.40GHz.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

32-bit OS cannot run programs compiled for 64-bit systems.

You'll need to find a 32-bit version of the program
    or
    You'll need to install the 64-bit version of the OS
    or
    You'll need to give up and find some other program that has a 32-bit version which meets your requirements.

Running a 32-bit OS will be more and more difficult.

BTW, I'm in a similar boat.
    Code:
    $ uname -m
    i686
    Due to a decision I made around 2008. I've been planning to move to the 64-bit version, but just haven't gotten around to it. We both have CPUs which are perfectly capable of running amd64/64-bit OSes. Your Core i3 certainly can.

If this is for work, then 18.04 should have the widest support today. 20.04 support for business programs often takes a year.

Before you ask, there is no direct upgrade patch from 32-bit to 64-bit OSes. A new install is required. There are techniques to make the migration easier, but those are usually non-trivial for people unacquainted with the Unix/Ubuntu command line.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12