Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: For how long are you using your External HDD ? Which brand is it ?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    melbourne, au
    Beans
    326
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    Re: For how long are you using your External HDD ? Which brand is it ?

    I had a WD Elements drive purchased Dec-2018 go bad after 3 weeks; definitely under warranty but a reading of the warranty (data becomes their property on warranty claim) made me not claim... (as I couldn't get it to function in its case to erase my unencrypted data... and opening the case voided the warranty. I realize the data-becomes-their-property on claim is possibly a so-you-can't-sue should data get leaked, but still...)

    Didn't stop me buying another; I've the latest one unopened in it's box under this desk, and another was purchased last month too which already has data on it. The data is worth more than the cost of the drive.

    (I need it too; idiot-insurance, an errant `dd` ran on the wrong box recently erased a 9TB array..)

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    India
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: For how long are you using your External HDD ? Which brand is it ?

    Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    A 32 USB pendrive is not very reliable. This type of product is mass-produced and is subject to wear and corruption. It is more likely to fail without warning compared to other alternatives.

    I would double the backup (using two 32 USB pendrives) in order to decrease the risk.



    A 32 GB SSD connected via USB is a more reliable alternative (and survives mechanical shock much better than a HDD).
    I have registered at MEGAsync. So now I have two backups.
    MX Linux 19
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU
    Ram 4GB
    Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2)

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: For how long are you using your External HDD ? Which brand is it ?

    Quote Originally Posted by guiverc View Post
    (I need it too; idiot-insurance, an errant `dd` ran on the wrong box recently erased a 9TB array..)
    Are you still cloning with 'dd' without a safety belt?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    melbourne, au
    Beans
    326
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    Re: For how long are you using your External HDD ? Which brand is it ?

    Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Are you still cloning with 'dd' without a safety belt?
    Yeah, I'm a slow learner....

    (or maybe just an unplanned backup-restoration testing opportunity )

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Squidbilly-Land
    Beans
    18,809
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: For how long are you using your External HDD ? Which brand is it ?

    Quote Originally Posted by guiverc View Post
    I had a WD Elements drive purchased Dec-2018 go bad after 3 weeks; definitely under warranty but a reading of the warranty (data becomes their property on warranty claim) made me not claim... (as I couldn't get it to function in its case to erase my unencrypted data... and opening the case voided the warranty. I realize the data-becomes-their-property on claim is possibly a so-you-can't-sue should data get leaked, but still...)

    Didn't stop me buying another; I've the latest one unopened in it's box under this desk, and another was purchased last month too which already has data on it. The data is worth more than the cost of the drive.

    (I need it too; idiot-insurance, an errant `dd` ran on the wrong box recently erased a 9TB array..)
    This is an example for why all portable, external, HDDs need to use LUKS encryption. With LUKS, you wouldn't mind sending the disk in for warranty reasons.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •