Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu 16.04 and Nvidia drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Lubuntu 16.04 and Nvidia drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    If you install the linux-generic metapackage rather than the HWE (hardware enablement) one, you'll be on the 4.4 kernel branch rather than 4.15. That will still get security updates for the full support period of 16.04. I couldn't tell you for sure if that will work with the legacy nvidia driver you need to use.
    Update: you were right, 4.4 does let me install the 304. I just booted the 4.4 Linux generic and then ran the Driver Manager. On it now, so far so good. but, I'm not sure if this is the metapackage or not. I definitely want the support, so I need to know if I am on the right package, and if not, how to get it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by michael_diemer View Post
    Update: you were right, 4.4 does let me install the 304. I just booted the 4.4 Linux generic and then ran the Driver Manager. On it now, so far so good. but, I'm not sure if this is the metapackage or not. I definitely want the support, so I need to know if I am on the right package, and if not, how to get it.
    The linux-generic metapackage doesn't install anything by itself, it just depends on the latest (non-HWE) kernel. When a newer version of the kernel comes out, the metapackage's dependencies are updated so that it pulls in the newer kernel. The kernel packages themselves are thus marked "automatically installed" so old ones can be autoremoved at the appropriate time, and you can always have multiple versions of the kernel without any conflicts. The linux-generic-hwe-16.04 metapackage is similar, but will always depend on the latest HWE kernel.

Glad to hear it all worked for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Lubuntu 16.04 LTS is EOL & has been awhile (https://lubuntu.me/xenial-released/).

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS as a server (no desktop), Desktop (default Unity desktop, or with Kylin desktop) was given five years of support and is thus supported, but all other flavors are EOL now.

Maintenance updates are provided for 5 years for Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu Server, Ubuntu Cloud, Ubuntu Base, and Ubuntu Kylin. All the remaining flavours are supported for 3 years.
    http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2019/03/01/...-lts-released/

I suggest examining `ubuntu-support-status` for your actual system to explore what parts of your system are still supported, and don't forget many parts of 16.04 LTS (including the Lubuntu desktop) are already EOL & unsupported.

If you do need to use 16.04, consider the default Unity 7 desktop as it has five years of support (ending 2021-April).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by guiverc View Post
    Lubuntu 16.04 LTS is EOL & has been awhile (https://lubuntu.me/xenial-released/).

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS as a server (no desktop), Desktop (default Unity desktop, or with Kylin desktop) was given five years of support and is thus supported, but all other flavors are EOL now.

I suggest examining `ubuntu-support-status` for your actual system to explore what parts of your system are still supported, and don't forget many parts of 16.04 LTS (including the Lubuntu desktop) are already EOL & unsupported.

If you do need to use 16.04, consider the default Unity 7 desktop as it has five years of support (ending 2021-April).
    Thanks for setting me straight on that! Running Unity is very iffy; I have found that only light systems work well on these old graphics. I'm going to see if I can run Lubuntu 18.04 but use the 4.4 kernel.

Edit: just checked, 18.04 ships with 5.x kernel. Doesn't look like that will work. Guess I need to do more research.
    Last edited by michael_diemer; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Lubuntu 18.04 LTS ships with the 4.15 kernel if installed with a 18.04, 18.04.1 ISO image.
    The 18.04.2 ISO ships with the 4.18 kernel & stack from 18.10
    The 18.04.3 ISO ships with the 5.0 kernel & stack from 19.04
    The 18.04.4 ISO ships with the 5.3 kernel & stack from 19.10

Any install of 18.04.2 & later (with HWE enabled) will auto-upgrade to the latest stack, currently 18.04.4 and 19.10's stack and eventually get the 20.04 stack as it's final destination.

Installs with the original media (18.04 or 18.04.1) will stay on 4.15 unless HWE is enabled by the user. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack for more details.

This detail applies to any flavor of Ubuntu, not just Lubuntu.
    Last edited by guiverc; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:26 AM. Reason: s/software stack/stack/ - poor choice of word; it's only low level software; nothing user based ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Lubuntu 16.04 and Nvidia drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by michael_diemer View Post
    Wow, this looks to be way beyond my level of expertise. I'm not sure what you are talking about here. Do you mean installing another card, or a program that boosts the on-board graphics?
    An add-in card to by-pass the 64-bit geForce® GPU in the nForce® 430 chipset. A system as old as your GT5656 will probably not handle a card with wider than 128-bit video memory; I therefore suggest a GT 520 or 610, which packs an nVIDIA® GF119 GPU and 1 GiB GDDR4 64-bit video memory.
    Video Drivers:
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Kepler and the nvidia-current metapackage.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Lubuntu 16.04 is only good as a short term solution. All of Lubuntu packages went EoL in 2019, and the base support will follow in 2021. I'd start planning for hardware with nvidia-340 support, which is available in 18.04 and, hopefully, 20.04.
    You can see the supported cards here https://www.nvidia.com/download/driv...px/77224/en-us.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

This is a good suggestion, so that the OP can see the exact status.

The Ubuntu flavours all use the same repositories, so they all get the same updates. The kernel, the web browsers, and the shared applications and libraries will all still get the same security updates. It's the flavour-specific stuff that doesn't get those updates: the teams that put together the flavours don't have the resources to backport things to five or six concurrent releases, so they can't commit to as long a support period.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I must have misunderstood the info on the Lubuntu page. I thought the community supported it for 5 years. I figured that would be fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bcschmerker View Post
    An add-in card to by-pass the 64-bit geForce® GPU in the nForce® 430 chipset. A system as old as your GT5656 will probably not handle a card with wider than 128-bit video memory; I therefore suggest a GT 520 or 610, which packs an nVIDIA® GF119 GPU and 1 GiB GDDR4 64-bit video memory.
    Thank you, I will look into those cards. The 8400GS worked fine until it went. The fan was making a terrible noise. I took it apart to try to fix it but managed only to make it worse....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast