Thread: Best option for nVIDIA chipsets and upgrade discrete GPU's for 20.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Question Best option for nVIDIA chipsets and upgrade discrete GPU's for 20.04?

As of 11 February 2020 I am sorting out how to keep an eMachines®/Acer® EL1210-09 upgraded with an msi® GT610 1GB DDR4 low-profile VDA (nVIDIA® GF119) and Shuttle® PC6300001 running like a top through an anticipated dist-upgrade from 18.04.3-LTS Bionic to 20.04-LTS Focal. The EL1210-09 packs an nForce® 785 MCP chipset (with integrated 64-bit geForce® GPU C77), which I needed to by-pass for sufficient video memory; as of 11 February 2020 the EL1210 shuts down and reboots properly on the nVIDIA® CUDA™ driver package for the GF119, despite support being withdrawn from the C77 itself. (The X.org nouveau drivers always seem to run into the no-power-off issue with the nForce, where it halts after "[ OK ] Reached target Shutdown." and doesn't actually power down or reboot.)

Do the Kernel Project and/or X Organization have a fix in progress for the no-shutdown issue with X.org Nouveau; or should I prepare to use the CUDA driver package for Focal (as i am doing for Bionic)?
    Last edited by bcschmerker; February 12th, 2020 at 08:40 PM.
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Pascal and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thumbs up [SOLVED] Best option for nVIDIA chipsets and upgrade discrete GPU's for 20.04?

Update: As of April 2020, Canonical opened the ubuntu® repository to nVIDIA Corporation for support of GPU's from Tesla to Kepler in Focal. Same hardware, neater package collection for Kernels 5.4.0-nn-generic. The 390 drivers run fine on the nF785/GF119 combo. As of December 2020 I'm looking at GT 720 LP cards (nVIDIA GK109 GPU, 1 GiB GDDR4 VRAM) as a contingency for failure of the msi® GT610-1GD3-LP. (I reckon that Maxwell through Ampére will need pre-boot support in the form of an nvidia-microcode package for GRUB 2.04 and subsequent.)
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Pascal and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.