Thread: System constantly lagging

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: System constantly lagging

Quote Originally Posted by ntertainer View Post
    Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Device 731f
    Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.20.5 )
    drivers: ati,vesa (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,radeon)
    This is odd, too. As far as I know this should say amdgpu for a new card like yours. That might explain your symptoms: vesa is doing things in software, and ati is really old.

Code:
    dmesg | grep 'amdgpu'
    might show something; maybe it's looking for firmware that you don't have?

Also make sure that you've got the amdgpu packages installed.
    Last edited by CatKiller; 1 Week Ago at 07:08 AM.

Beans

Upgraded BIOS and set swap to 4GB, but still no change in performance. Still lags alot everytime I open a process (including tabs in Firefox, new email in thunderbird or even open the terminal).
    I'll google around some more, but I really can't figure out what might be off. If you have other ideas I'd be glad to try them out!

Thank you guys!

Beans

I think I've found something. So I opened the system monitor, checked the different processes and tried to tie the lag to something. What I found was that everytime the disk reads or writes something the system starts lagging. Can't find any solution online for this other than a quick read about Gnome being the issue, but that seems a bit farfetched..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

top, free, and checking the system logs are the first steps to tracking down issues.

With disk issues, determining performance would be my first step, then figuring out if that is the normal, expected, speed the 2nd. If the storage subsystem isn't close to the performance specs, start tracing where the slowdown is. Most of the time, either the selected file system or how the storage is mounted are the problems. In general, if a GUI was used to mount the storage, then performance will suffer.

Beans

I changed from kernel 5.3 to 4.15 and it fixed the issue! I have no idea what the difference is but the problem is finally gone!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12