Thread: Disk is likely to fail soon

Beans

Disk is likely to fail soon

Hi,

I've been a very casual user of UBUNTU for a couple of years and last night I was prompted to upgrade to 18.04 from 16.whateverIwason and I kicked off the process and went to bed. When I woke up this morning, the process had completed and there was a login screen. I logged in and the first thing that popped up was an application with the message in the title. Here is the whole screen:

I really have no idea how seriously I should take this. Can someone tell me what program is generating this message and what I can do to get further information?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ts1971; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:55 PM.

Beans

Re: Disk is likely to fail soon

It appears as though I can't get the image to display. I'm not sure why; I've tried with both dropbox and flickr. I've tried a couple of free image hosting sites,but this doesn't seem to be as easy as it used to. Can anyone suggest a good free site for hosting images destined for message boards?

Thanks (again)!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Use the forum attachment feature to upload images
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1626753
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by ts1971 View Post
    I really have no idea how seriously I should take this. Can someone tell me what program is generating this message and what I can do to get further information?
    You should take it seriously. Modern hard drives test themselves periodically through a mechanism called SMART so that you can get an early warning before (some) failures and have a chance to switch to a replacement on your own schedule rather than when the drive is already dead. You can use the smartmontools package to read all the information that the drive gives from its tests. Replacement drives are pretty cheap as computer components go.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Disks have a built-in health check system, called SMART. There are a few tools which look at SMART data, gnome-disks is one. I prefer smartctl, which is used on servers that don't have any GUI and provides the raw data. The raw data provides incite that gnome-disks doesn't.

However, you should take any warning like that very seriously. Backup anything you don't want lost and plan to replace the disk ASAP. Chances are there is already significant data lose. Then I'd use smartctl to see how bad things are. Lots of examples in these forums.

Beans

Thank you!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Use the forum attachment feature to upload images
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1626753
    Thank you! I feel silly for not seeing that earlier. Or rather for seeing it, but dismissing it for some reason. I could have saved myself an hour spent creating free accounts in image hosting sites, none of which seem to provide the basic service of allowing me to share publicly share an image. Anyway, thanks again!