Thread: Cannot connect ot the internet

Beans

Cannot connect ot the internet

Hello, I cannot connect to the internet via wifi anymore on Ubuntu 19.04. I shows on google.chrome "NO INTERNET BAD NETWORK CONFIG" and the wifi conenctions only appear as a question mark on the top right logo. I tried to use the resolvconf -related commands, but this version does not have resolvconf at all. How do I solve this?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Semn; 1 Week Ago at 12:05 PM. Reason: internet, wifi, cannot connect, bad, network, config

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Cannot connect ot the internet

Moved to Networking and Wireless
    See the wireless script link in my signature and post results

Beans
    Hidden!

And don't forget that 19.04 is out of support so an upgrade or clean install is suggested as soon as you can do so.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I'll largely just provide links

Ubuntu 19.04 reached EOL
    http://ubuntu-news.org/2020/01/23/ub...nuary-23-2020/

Info on EOL Upgrades
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades

I'm assuming by reference to `resolv.conf` that you suspect you have DNS issues; it's still there on a standard system, even a 20.04 system I installed today has it, and can be used to temporarily add nameservers. You mis-typed it's name though, so that alone maybe your issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by guiverc View Post
    I'm assuming by reference to `resolv.conf` that you suspect you have DNS issues; it's still there on a standard system, even a 20.04 system I installed today has it, and can be used to temporarily add nameservers. You mis-typed it's name though, so that alone maybe your issue.
    resolv.conf is constantly overwritten by whatever DNS management system(s) are active on the machine. That could be dnsmasq, systemd, resolvconf, or a DNS-over-HTTPS tool.

Step 1: The op should move to a supported release which will likely solve this issue.
    Step 2: If the problem persists, unlikely, figure out which system I've listed above is controlling the DNS. Usually, a quick check of the process table using top or ps will do that.

But DNS issues are very different from network connectivity problem. Network connectivity can be determined by using ping to LAN and internet IPs, not DNS names. ping the LAN router IP. Ping some well-known internet IPs like 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 ... if those work, networking is almost always absolutely find.
    If ping 8.8.8.8 works, but ping google.com doesn't, it is just a DNS problem.