Thread: Stacer OR/AND BleachBit?

Beans

Stacer OR/AND BleachBit?

Hello everyone! I`ve been looking some vids and did some reading about tuning up Ubuntu. I`m familiarized with BleachBit mainly from Windows and I have the general idea as to what it does, but now I came across Stacer. The later seems to be specially designed for Linux. So what is better for keeping the system neat and maintaining privacy in Ubuntu: BleachBit OR/AND Stacer? Can they be used both for maximal advantage, or is it best to use one of them?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Stacer OR/AND BleachBit?

I'm not familiar with stacer. It's not in the official repositories, wich means I would only install it if I were really sure I needed it. Bleachbit is in the official repos (universe section) and I guess there's some use for it, but I don't use it. The forum is full of stories of people who broke their system by applying too much bleach.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have used Stacer before. What I found is that it pretty much didn't do anything. That could be because I don't muck up my system with junk.

Keep in mind that Linux is NOT Windows. Things that you needed to do constantly in Windows (defrag, check for orphaned registry files, remove things from the boot-up menu, etc) do not need to be done in Linux except on very rare occasions. I have 12 machines right now running Xubuntu and I do zero maintenance on any of them. And they are all just as fast as the day that I installed Xubuntu 16.04 or 18.04 on them.
    Last edited by Autodave; February 7th, 2020 at 04:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I just use Ubuntu Cleaner to free up storage space by getting rid of old kernels and headers. Other than reclaiming room on the drives, they don't really "improve" the performance of your installation, as Autodave has stated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by umbravitae View Post
    Hello everyone! I`ve been looking some vids and did some reading about tuning up Ubuntu. I`m familiarized with BleachBit mainly from Windows and I have the general idea as to what it does, but now I came across Stacer. The later seems to be specially designed for Linux. So what is better for keeping the system neat and maintaining privacy in Ubuntu: BleachBit OR/AND Stacer? Can they be used both for maximal advantage, or is it best to use one of them?
    Neither. Both are more likely to be more harmful than useful.