Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New (K/X)Ubuntu 19.10 installation loses internet connection on and off after suspend

Beans

New (K/X)Ubuntu 19.10 installation loses internet connection on and off after suspend

So I have a brand new install of Xubuntu 19.10 that will occasionally lose internet for about 30 seconds to a minute periodically; as you may imagine it's very annoying. I did a sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop on it to to get KDE as an option as well; I know that doesn't dictate what wireless driver I use but it does tell you what debug tools I have at hand; I was wondering if this was a known issue with the new version and/or what kind of trouble shooting options I have available to me?

It's an older laptop with this lspci description of the card:
    Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 1000 [Condor Peak]
    Subsystem: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 1000 BGN
    Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
    Kernel modules: iwlwifi

I should point out that I run the wifi card with power management turned off because with power management on this problem was rampant and the card was just slow. I should also add that I suspect that it may have something to do with suspending the laptop when I close the lid; meaning that things are fine until I do that and then my wireless connection speed periodically drops off for a minute.

I tried this:
    https://freedompenguin.com/articles/...-drop-off-fix/

It seemed to work for the first two suspends then KDE lost both the network manager and my internet connection entirely and I had to reboot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: New (K/X)Ubuntu 19.10 installation loses internet connection on and off after sus

Lets try
    Code:
    sudo touch /etc/systemd/system/wifi-resume.service
    kdesudo kate /etc/systemd/system/wifi-resume.service
    Add the following
    Code:
    [Unit]
    Description=Restart networkmanager at resume
    After=suspend.target
    After=hibernate.target
    After=hybrid-sleep.target

[Service]
    Type=oneshot
    ExecStart=/bin/systemctl restart network-manager.service

[Install]
    WantedBy=suspend.target
    WantedBy=hibernate.target
    WantedBy=hybrid-sleep.target

Beans

Re: New (K/X)Ubuntu 19.10 installation loses internet connection on and off after sus

So I tried this, it's the method in the link to the original post- when I come back from suspend the network manager in KDE is missing entirely and I can't see what network I'm connected to/choose another one. I had to switch from XFCE because of a keyboard issue... my experience with this release isn't going very well. I think this approach works in XFCE but the keyboard issue I've referred to is a dealbreaker for using; periodically it won't let me type into a text box until I change focus to a different textbox, doesn't sound that bad until it happens on login where there are no other boxes- then you have to hard reset the machine. Do you have a similar problem and does this approach work for you in KDE?
    Last edited by ravalox; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:53 AM.

Beans

Sadly after trying this approach in XFCE for a day I have concluded the restarting of the network manager doesn't fix the problem; the driver still just goes hay wire and the only solution seems to be a full reboot.

Beans

So I may have fixed my problem; I wrote this script:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh                                                                                                                                     

MYNAME=$0                                                                                     

DRIVER=iwlwifi                                                                              

/usr/bin/logger $MYNAME 'restart_wifi BEGIN'                                              
    /sbin/modprobe -v -r $DRIVER # This removes the driver
    sleep 2                                    
    /sbin/modprobe -v $DRIVER   # This starts the driver                                      
    #systemctl restart NetworkManager.service # network manager restart disabled as not needed
    /usr/bin/logger $MYNAME 'restart_wifi END'
    It seems to be working; the 2 second pause turned out to be important. I'll mark this solved tomorrow if this seems stable over time.

Beans

Ugh, nothing I've tried works, it all starts to sputter after a while and I just have to reboot. Not being able to suspend is pretty debilitating for a laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I am surprised none of the subject matter experts have yet to suggest you perform all of the actions in this thread,... https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=370108
    When you complete all of the actions, let everyone know, including where the contents of file, wireless-info.txt is posted.
    Cheers,
    I am not an expert on anything, but I pretend to be one at times.
    Software expands to consume available system resources.

Beans

Alright, I followed the instructions and it's still persisting with my wireless issues; wirelessinfo: https://pastebin.com/jdTGTSyv

Beans

So after some trial and error this is what I've come up with:

Code:
    systemctl stop NetworkManager.service
    ip link set wlp4s0 down
    sleep 2
    modprobe -r iwlwifi
    sleep 2
    modprobe iwlwifi
    sleep 2
    ip link set wlp4s0 up
    sleep 2
    systemctl restart NetworkManager.service
    Seems to work but it's a bit strange I have to do this, these are very well known intel devices.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I am just guessing, but it appears your wireless module sees the multiple ForbiddenPlanet signals, and keeps switching back and forth between the signals without locking on to one of them. Do you control the router(s) for ForbiddenPlanet?
    Code:
    ForbiddenPlanet                   <MAC 'ForbiddenPlanet' [AC1]>  Infra  7     2442 MHz  195 Mbit/s  100     ▂▄▆█
    ForbiddenPlanet                   <MAC 'ForbiddenPlanet' [AC3]>  Infra  1     2412 MHz  195 Mbit/s  77      ▂▄▆_
    ForbiddenPlanet                   <MAC 'ForbiddenPlanet' [AN12]>  Infra  1     2412 MHz  195 Mbit/s  50      ▂▄__
    If so, then you might consider changing the names so they are slightly different, ie ForbiddenPlanet1, ForbiddenPlanet2, ForbiddenPlanet3.
    If you don't control the router(s), you might consider setting your system to completely ignore the two with lesser signals.
    Someone else with more expertise than I may chime in, hopefully.
    Cheers,
    I am not an expert on anything, but I pretend to be one at times.
    Software expands to consume available system resources.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast