Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: apt autoremove simply does not work

Beans

Angry apt autoremove simply does not work

So, I decided to check out kubuntu, lubuntu and xubuntu: installed them via apt. Stuff was kind of broken (separate story I won't get into here) so I decided to remove it all

I run `apt remove kubuntu-desktop` etc.

followed by `apt autoremove`

However, this still left a LOT of junk behind.

I tried cleaning up by doing `apt remove lx\*` and `apt remove xfce\*` and so on and on (followed by "autoremove").

But there is still junk like `plymouth-theme-kubuntu-logo` etc.

Now, I can't simply go though /var/log/dpkg.log and remove everything I supposedly "installed" today (because it lists things like libc-bin.

Anyway, I don't know if it's me who's doing this wrong, but having used Linux since the late 90s, I don't consider myself a noob, and I'm inclined to think this functionality is utterly broken (and its existence is misleading)
    Last edited by wildmanne39; February 5th, 2020 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Removed inappropriate language

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: apt autoremove simply does not work

Removing the meta-packages (e.g. "kubuntu-desktop") does NOT remove what those meta-packages actually installed (hundreds of other packages). It's not a problem with autoremove because that command only removes orphaned packages and the packages installed by the met-packages don't have the met-packages as dependencies.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    Removing the meta-packages (e.g. "kubuntu-desktop") does NOT remove what those meta-packages actually installed (hundreds of other packages).
    So how is one supposed to remove them?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by maxbb View Post
    So how is one supposed to remove them?
    Manually (and there will be dragons).

That's the downside of installing multiple desktop environment: They're usually very easy to install thanks to the meta-packages but removing them entirely (and expecting a functional system afterwards) is in the polar opposite. Reinstalling the original OS will likely be a lot faster and safer.

Beans

Manually (and there will be dragons).

That's the downside of installing multiple desktop environment: They're usually very easy to install thanks to the meta-packages but removing them entirely (and expecting a functional system afterwards) is in the polar opposite. Reinstalling the original OS will likely be a lot faster and safer.
    But why?!

Why doesn't Ubuntu/apt/dpkg manage these dependencies automatically? It's just a directed acyclic graph...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm not a dev and it's very unlikely you'll find one here.

May I also suggest that you try to understand how things work first instead of demanding changes just because? Most of your posts suggest you don't know as much as you think you do and in spite of that you tend to complain about the things you don't understand in a somewhat confrontational way to people who, again, are just users like you, not Ubuntu developers.

Beans

I'm not a dev and it's very unlikely you'll find one here.

May I also suggest that you try to understand how things work first instead of demanding changes just because? Most of your posts suggest you don't know as much as you think you do and in spite of that you tend to complain about the things you don't understand in a somewhat confrontational way to people who, again, are just users like you, not Ubuntu developers.
    So let me see if I understand: you can't explain why this is the way it is. But you think I shouldn't question it because I don't know why this is the way it is? (I'm a programmer BTW, but I work on scientific software)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by maxbb View Post
    So let me see if I understand: you can't explain why this is the way it is. But you think I shouldn't question it because I don't know why this is the way it is? (I'm a programmer BTW, but I work on scientific software)
    What I said is there's no point in complaining here (and merely echoing a sentiment already expressed in a thread of yours back in 2017).

And I have an idea why this is, definitely, but I'm not in the mood of explaining it to you, considering the original reply answered your initial question and also corrected the misunderstanding about the autoremove "functionality is utterly broken (and its existence is misleading)".

Beans

What I said is there's no point in complaining here (and merely echoing a sentiment already expressed in a thread of yours back in 2017).

And I have an idea why this is, definitely, but I'm not in the mood of explaining it to you, considering the original reply answered your initial question and also corrected the misunderstanding about the autoremove "functionality is utterly broken (and its existence is misleading)".

I did not write anything about autoremove in 2017.

You don't need to know the intricacies of how something works to suspect a problem. Iowa just messed up their primaries. Transunion leaked everyone's credit data to hackers. I don't know the details. I don't want to know the details. But I'm inclined to think there was a problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Let's get back on topic and stick to the issue at hand and please by nice, you may want to review the rules of the forum:

https://ubuntuforums.org/misc.php?do=showrules

Specifically:

The purpose of the Ubuntu Forums is to provide support for Ubuntu. We also want this to be a place where community can develop and we can enjoy one another's company. To achieve this, we strive to maintain an atmosphere that can be enjoyed by all and we ask all members of the community to be respectful at all times. This means please use etiquette and politeness. Treat people with respect. If you do this, the rest of the code of conduct won't need more than a cursory mention.
    We do not allow threads to go off topic or negative interaction between members.

Thanks
    Last edited by wildmanne39; February 5th, 2020 at 04:13 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast