Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: xubuntu, second HDD & Plex

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

xubuntu, second HDD & Plex

Hello

Context for my problem:
    I have Xubuntu running primarily for the use as a Plex Server. It has two hard drives. I am a n00b. Thank you in advance for reading this.

Problem 1:
    The plex server doesn't recognise any media or subfolders on the second hard drive ("sdb1") which mounts to "/media/[username]/Second HDD".

Solution 1:
    Having read a number of posts about this the problem might be related to read permissions for the second HDD. This solution seemed relevant to me:
    https://forums.plex.tv/t/problem-wit...my-pc/118447/2I
    The solution was to edit the file "/etc/fstab" with an additional line of code to remount the second HDD into a different location: "/plex/disk/"

The additional line would read "/dev/sdb1 /plex/disk auto defaults 0 0"

Problem 2:
    The problem i'm having with "Solution 1" is that I cannot seem to edit the file "/etc/fstab". I've tried opening it as a text file, or launching a text editor (excuse me if i'm using the wrong terminology here) but it seems pretty sure it doesn't wan't to be edited...

Solution 2: ???? (help!)

So... as you can see, I need your advice for a solution for problem 2, in order to solve problem 1. Unless of course you think the correct solution to problem 1 is different! I hope this made sense...
    Last edited by ajgreeny; February 4th, 2020 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Font normalised; please use default fonts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: xubuntu, second HDD & Plex

Solution 2 is quite simple actually.

You can use Disks to change the mount options:

1. Select the drive/partition and click in the double cog wheel button > Edit mount options...
    2. De-select User session defaults
    3. Tick "mount at system startup"
    4. Keep the mount point as suggested, under /mnt
    5. Next choose the best option to identify it from the dropdown menu, usually LABEL= provides the more convenient and human readable way

Reboot and test.

Plex, Emby and others do have a problem with drives mounted in /media but the reason for this eludes me.

Beans
    Distro

Hi. Thanks for your reply! I'm 100% with you up until step 4.

If my understanding is correct I should make the mount point: /mnt/plex/disk/Second HDD ?

So, I tried that and rebooted but nothing seems to have changed? The drive still appears on my desktop and does not appear under /plex/disk ?

Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Keep the mount point as suggested but also avoid spaces if at all possible.

AFAIK it doesn't need to appear under /plex/disk to be recognized by Plex, the problem is when it's mounted at /media, the system default.

Beans
    Distro

Okay Thanks!

I think I made a mistake and corrected the mount point to "/mnt/plex/disk"

Rebooted, it seems to have worked! Unfortunately... now i don't seem to have access to add files to the disk?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by martyyyn View Post
    Unfortunately... now i don't seem to have access to add files to the disk?
    And you could before? Changing the the mount point doesn't change permissions.

Beans
    Distro

Yes - i've definitely moved stuff on and off the drive before

I've checked the properties of the folder /mnt/plex/disk and it is owned by "root (root)" and seems to be read only for everyone else.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Again, why did you changed it from the recommended mount point in Disks? You're only creating problems for yourself. This should have been as simple as I posted initially. The only thing needed was to avoid the system default /media and use /mnt instead, everything else staying the same (identify by LABEL is optional).

Beans
    Distro

Ah. Yes misunderstood you twice. Sorry - I am in over my head here! I will use /mnt instead.

Beans
    Distro

Okay I have retraced my steps and rebooted. It is correctly mounted at "/mnt"

However the drive doesn't let me add anything etc. It's essentially read only to me now. I can see everything that was in it before it was remounted - just a folder i'd named "test" for moving items back and forth into trying to get plex to recognise them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast