Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pc doesn’t boot by USB + Which version to choose

Beans

Pc doesn’t boot by USB + Which version to choose

Hi,

I’m having trouble installing lubuntu in my PC. The PC is old, has 512mb of ram and the date of bios is around 2003. And when I choose to boot from my usb flash drive, appears a message “invalid partition table”. Does anyone know how to solve it?

I’ve other question, that’s what the difference between the Desktop version and the Alternative version of Lubuntu.

Many thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Pc doesn’t boot by USB + Which version to choose

Invalid partition table would imply to me the data on the drive is corrupt, I'd be tempted to just create new partition table on your drive and start again AFTER validating your drive health, ie. drive problems could be the result of a failing drive, so wasting time on it doesn't make sense, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Smartmontools Validate it's worth spending time trying to create new partition table & use it first...

The Lubuntu install media (I'll talk about 18.04 media here, see https://lubuntu.me/downloads/ and drop down to 18.04.3 Bionic Beaver LTS (LXDE) is available firstly in Desktop 64-bit (called AMD64 as amd created the compatible (with 32bit) 64bit instruction set run today on intel & amd cpus) or Desktop 32-bit (Debian & Ubuntu refer to all 32-bit as i386; but a 686 level cpu is required).

The 'live' mode of the install media needs around 700MB to correctly run, yes it can run in less but performance will be hit, and some functions will act like they aren't running. The installer when run on top of that requires more memory meaning you should have more than 700MB.

To allows systems with very tight memory (eg. 768MB) the alternate installer was created; it doesn't have a 'live' mode, so uses the debian-installer instead of `ubiquity` allow it to run on machines with 700MB of ram or less. The alternate installer has no updates, so it was Ubuntu 18.04 LTS as it was back in 2018-April (ie. 18.04 as Ubuntu uses a *year.month* format) where as others have updates included.

I'd suggest increasing your RAM if all possible, you also didn't provide details of your CPU. I did test Lubuntu up to and including Lubuntu 19.04 (whilst i386 ISOs were available anyway) on laptops from 2005 & later, but only with 1GB of RAM.

Lubuntu 18.04 LTS is the oldest supported release of Lubuntu, as flavors have only 3 years of support (unlike main Ubuntu which has 5 years for LTS releases), your alternative is 19.10 which is available in amd64 (64-bit) only (Note: intel uses amd64 too; intel's 64-bit ia64 is EOL/abandoned as amd64 was backward compatible where as ia64 wasn't). Lubuntu 18.04 LTS is supported until 2021-April (ie. 3 years)

You didn't provide release info of what Lubuntu you tried; but you do need alternate (due to RAM syou have, but note updates will take much longer to download & install during install as it has many times the amount to download & install compared to the updated non-alternate installer).
    Last edited by guiverc; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:06 AM. Reason: add Lubuntu 18.04 is supported until 2021-April

Beans

Thanks for help @guiverc !
    How can I verify the health state of my pen drive in Windows 10?
    I’ve tried the Lubuntu 18.04 Alternate 32 bits, and you recomend this one, right?
    The installation of the Alternate version is deferent than the Desktop version? I mean, the installation process.
    My CPU is a Intel Pentium 4 1900 MHz
    This pc was with no use during many years, and now I want to give it a “new life”. I will only use the PC sometimes, and it are going to stay always offline. So the support isn’t important to me because I will not make updates.
    Thanks for help

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by migascool123 View Post
    My CPU is a Intel Pentium 4 1900 MHz
    By my reckoning, that's Willamette, which is 32-bit. You've missed the boat on being able to easily use Ubuntu with that, since 32-bit install images have been phased out. A few years ago resurrecting that machine for a bit would have been easier.

A Raspberry Pi will give you a faster machine with more modern connections, while using way less power, and being much easier in general.

Otherwise there are other distros that still provide 32-bit images, for now.
    Last edited by CatKiller; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by migascool123 View Post
    I will only use the PC sometimes, and it are going to stay always offline.
    If it's not on the net you can use any kind of old Buntu. One of my all time favourites was 8.10.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Hi
    I’ve some updates in my case: I’ve already downloaded the Lubuntu 18.04 Alternate 32bits. I’ve also a doubt about what option to choose doing the rufus configuration, if it is freeDOS or ISO, I choose ISO did I choose the right one?
    When I put first the pen on the pc, it doesn’t recognize it and I have to create a particion in the windows discs manager, so the data was really corrupt... It could be by the several times that I take it of from computer or the bad job doing by Escher, because after I use Escher to create the iso, the pc doesn’t recognize it, but I think that was a normal process, because I was finishing creating a bootable pen. But know, I can enter the usb pen, and explorer it.
    Am I in the right way?
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You need to also consider the possibility of that USB stick being about to fail. Etcher usually does a good job (runs in DD mode). With Rufus you may try also the DD mode. If it doesn't boot then there's a problem with that USB and/or the USB ports.

Beans

Thanks for help! Yes the usb drive could being about to fail. I know that Escher usually do a good job (was just because this reason that first I use escher), but the fact is that with escher I couldn’t open the usb stick, and the Rufus I can open the pen and see the files. I used iso mode, when Rufus ask me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In Rufus ISO mode you need to also select MBR/BIOS for your old machine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    In Rufus ISO mode you need to also select MBR/BIOS for your old machine.
    Yes, I choose this options because they were the only ones that I can select

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast