Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pc doesn’t boot by USB + Which version to choose

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Pc doesn’t boot by USB + Which version to choose

I've a pentium 4 heater on besides me. Spec wise I record it as
    hp dx6120mt (mini-tower, pentium 4 dual core, 3gb, winfast clone of nvidia 7600gt)
    which I only semi-recently upgraded the RAM from 1.5 to 3gb. I have no idea what speed it is, I only record CPU, ram & GPU.

I'm using it for QA-testing (QA=Quality Assurance) Lubuntu 18.04.4 which is due for release on Thursday (6-Feb-2020; thus I'm somewhat busy & may not have noticed your prior reply). It's one of my test rigs that tested up to Lubuntu 19.04 (it's x86 only now; and this 18.04.4 release will likely be it's last use for QA-installs).

I can't speak to the various pentium 4's; I used to have a couple but kept this one as it used SATA & PATA drives.

Yes the alternate installer is very different; it uses the 'debian-installer' instead of Ubuntu's standard `ubiquity` installer; it's used to save RAM. The debian-installer was primarily used for installing on servers (which are text-mode only often), though may not be used for any 20.04 release. The new 18.04.4 images do not include any 'di' or alternate images; alternate images aren't updated.

I have tested using many pentium M (2003-2005) laptops, and a few pentium 4 boxes (now only 1), but I haven't done any testing on any box with less than 1GB of ram in a long time. Thus your situation in regards RAM I cannot advise on. I'd be tempted to use something like 'openbox' or a simple window manager; though I realize this won't likely mean much to you.

Beans

Thanks your help @guiverc ! I know this could be a silly question, but if I buy a socket of RAM how can I verify if the socket is compatible with my sockets and motherboard? And how can I configure it in the BIOS?
    How different is the installer of the Alternative version? It only have command line, right? I’ve researched on internet, but I didn’t found any video or site with a installation with alternative version, could you explain me how does it proceed?
    P.S. - I’m a really beginner on the Linux world!!
    Thanks for help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Compatible RAM will be very hard to find and if you find one it'll be expensive comparatively.

You may check at the motherboard manufacturer's website for type a maximum RAM supported. Also stores like crucial.com and memoryc.com can help you.

But if you ask me it's a waste of money for littler to no gain.

EDIT:

If you can find RAM for that it'll probably be more expensive than a Raspberry Pi, a more capable little computer and way more energy efficient than your old machine. So, yes, some things are better left to retrocomputing enthusiasts or museums.
    Last edited by CelticWarrior; February 4th, 2020 at 11:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Please run
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C memory
    and post the output in CODE tags. It will tell all we need to know about memory.

I expect that you will get extra memory modules cheap. High supply and low demand should give low prices.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Ok I will run that code!
    The installer of alternative version is intuitive or Do I have to deal with a line of code?
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by migascool123 View Post
    The installer of alternative version is intuitive or Do I have to deal with a line of code?
    The main difference is it hasn't a fancy GUI and at time you'll need to use the cursor keys, space bar and enter to navigate, select and apply options instead of mouse clicks. No commands are required though.

Beans

Thanks for awnser! When I try to install it I Update the thread!
    Thanks for all who help me!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'll be the rude one here the forum -- 2003 device = Junk hardware. Seriously you can get very cheap modern parts. Don't waste your time what you're trying to do. Even if you get things up and running the experience is going to be junk.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

My belated reply

I upgraded my RAM because in Dec-2018 x86 was finally dropped, so I started recycling some old boxes, some of the RAM I kept & was just sitting there - I re-discovered it & thus it was installed. Was I actually using the boxes I would have installed it much earlier, but for testing purposes I think the low ram could be a benefit for detecting issues users may encounter. I wouldn't buy new, at recyclers they'd likely give it to you, or charge you maybe a dollar (the recycler where I volunteered at was only interested in dealing with sticks of 2GB of more, we'd give away smaller; so 2x1gb [free] would still give you 2gb ram; we never tested ram we'd give away, so don't forget to memtest it yourself).

I only like providing official documentation in my answers, and sorry currently I don't have much with the debian installer. I only joined the Lubuntu team in the 18.10 cycle, which was after 18.04 and the creation of the last alternate CD so I never tested it. I've used it heaps to install Debian, but never Lubuntu (that I remember anyway).

I did find a youtube video on it (which looked okay the little I viewed, but without reviewing it I won't re-post). If you find documentation on it at lubuntu.net (not an official Ubuntu/Lubuntu site) I would trust it in this regards. The owner of that site was a co-creator of Lubuntu but has since left the project, so at least had some interest in the project years back, so whilst it's not up-to-date, the information you're after here doesn't need to be as up-to-date as it's historical.

Beans

Hi guys, I’ve already tested it on the pc, and there’s some evolution, but isn’t working yet! My trouble now, is after I choose the language of Lubuntu, in the menu that says: install Lubuntu, check disk, check memory,.... and when I click on install Lubuntu the screen freezes and does nothing! The only option that I can access is to check memory, that is ok!
    Does someone have an idea of what it could be?
    Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast