Thread: tsclient

Beans

tsclient

Hi, Linux (ChaletOS 16.04.2) is very new to me. I'm trying to do a remote connection to my work computer and IT told me to download and install tsclient. I tried this through the Application Centre but couldn't find it. Then tried a download through my browser which maybe worked (I see tsclient folder on my desktop) but unsure what to do next. Any help is appreciated.

Beans

Re: tsclient

Simple. If your IT people told you to install it, then they should also tell you where to get a vetted copy and how to install it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thread moved to Ubuntu/Debian BASED
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Thanks, yes, I was told where to get a vetted copy. I think it's in my downloads folder but there are many items in there and I'm not sure where to start. Our IT dept doesn't know/support Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You may start by reading instructions that should be either inside that folder in some "read me" file or at the website you downloaded it from. If you're still stuck than post where you got it from and/or the contents of the download so we can try to help. This you could have done from the start and should be done whenever a person asks for help online.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

According to the Wikipedia page for tsclient it is "discontinued". The sourceforge page for tsclient was last updated in 2015, which is consistent with wikipedia's comment. That sourceforge page states, "This project has been superseded by Remmina - https://sourceforge.net/projects/remmina/". Remmina is in the Ubuntu repositories and comes in a default installation of Ubuntu so, if you were using Ubuntu, you would not have to install Remmina.

However, you are not using Ubuntu - you are using ChaletOS. The Distrowatch page for ChaletOS, describes it as "dormant". The ChaletOS homepage states, "Last stable version: April 2016".

So, you are using a dormant operating system, whose latest version is unlikely to be getting much in the way of updates, if at all, and you are trying to install a "discontinued" application. Since you are new to Linux, you would be well advised to rethink which distro and which remote desktop client to use.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Thank you for your detailed reply. So I need to install a different operating system. I have used Windows 7 in the past. My son recommended Linux, and ChaletOS in particular, because it might be best-suited for a former Windows user. Can you make an alternate Linux recommendation?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you're looking for a "similar to Windows 7" menu than the desktop environment is what determines that, not necessarily the actual distro running it.

Apparently ChaletOS used LXDE. So a likely candidate would be Lubuntu (now runs LXQt) which is also very similar in terms of menu and desktop layout.

The above notwithstanding, and talking from an educator's POV, getting rid of old habits is preferable. So, the standard Ubuntu provides the user interface best suited for productivity and there's no significant learning curve when switching from a "Windows lke" DE to Ubuntu's Unity inspired Gnome.

It's the same logic I use with vegetarians/vegans: I don't need a veggie burger or any other imitation. Convince me with original recipes and presentations where the actual ingredients shine, not with poor attempts of cloning.

Beans

Informative and entertaining -thanks for taking the time!