Hello.

I've been using a Windows 10 host VM for quite a while as a CI test platform for embedded software development. I recently tried using an FTDI UART/USB cable in an older version of Ubuntu and, despite trying everything I could find in discussions to get it to work, I could not. So, I decided to get the latest version of Oracle VM VirtualBox and upgrade to a clean installation of Ubuntu 18.04.

First thing I noticed was that installation process seemed to hang up on a black screen indefinitely. I did a little reading on this and found that a suggestion to disable Hyper-V. I did so and the process seemed to get further, although I did notice some memory issues along the way. I am no expert on any flavor of Linux or VMs so I am using all of the default settings in the installation process, with the exception of changing the machine name.

What I am seeing is that the installation looks like it might have finished at a "Live session user" screen. If I try to log in using the username and password I specified, it does not authenticate. If I login to the live session user account, I see a shortcut to the installation ISO and a few apps. If I restart the VM, it restarts the installation.

Wondering if maybe I need to change one of the defaults or if there is some step I am missing.

Thank you.