Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what advantage will I have to install ubuntu over other OS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: what advantage will I have to install ubuntu over other OS?

Quote Originally Posted by sdsurfer View Post
    It is for many people, which is why I mentioned it. I have worked on my own vehicles all my life, and convincing someone to save several hundred dollars for getting their hands a little dirty and a couple hours of their time is a difficult task. It's a decent comparison. You know what they say, teach a person to fish . . . .
    A decent comparison indeed but it breaks down at your implicit assumption that the other, mainstream "vehicle" doesn't require service and our Ubuntu "vehicle" does... The truth is all of them need service/maintenance and a certain know-how to do that and, as a matter of fact, the mainstream OS requires a lot more and takes a lot longer to finish it properly.

The problem is (and always was), when discussing this issue, people conflate "familiarity" with "user-friendliness". And people assume that market share somehow implies "default" (and that everybody knows how to use/maintain it) whereas anything else has a "learning curve". We should strongly reject this misconceptions and stop treating Ubuntu as second-class citizen.

If we consider a completely tech illiterate person without any previous contact with Ubuntu or the mainstream OS and teach that person how to use and maintain Ubuntu proficiently first, the same person when moving to the mainstream OS will face a much steeper learning curve than the other way around. So, learning curves are just a fact of life, inherent to any knowledge acquisition process.

PS - The actual vehicles I promote (check my webpage ) require the least maintenance of all luxury brands but they still require some, that's unavoidable, but that doesn't mean we should ripoff customers with maintenance schedules.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    As with many questions, google and wikipedia have answers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...e_that_uses_Qt

But the Qt license changes are very new. How it gets handled by each project is yet to be seen. For a small project, $500 is a big problem.
    Back in the late 1990s, my team decided to stop using Rogue Wave and moved to the STL C++ libraries in about 6 months. We had all sorts of RogueWave licenses - per developer, per platform. We were supporting 12 platforms. RogueWave got bought out because their business model collapsed. That happens lots of times, especially with software libraries.
    In deed! I have planned to move from gtk3 based flavors to either Lubuntu (LXQT) or Kubuntu sooner rather than later but that could potentially throw a wrench in the works.

Beans

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

I've found Ubuntu often requires less maintenance than Windows. Ubuntu gives you the control to stick with a system you've set up without any changes being made which you have no knowledge of. One of my perennial frustrations of Windows 10 is the continually moving of the system without notifying users of sufficient details of the change.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12