Thread: Windows Share Folder

Beans

Question Windows Share Folder

Hello!
    i'm new to Ubuntu, Linux. On windows i run Run Command on windows 10 to access Media Server provided by my ISP. like this (Windows key+R) IP Address \\192.168. but i'm unable to do this in Ubuntu. Currently i'm running Ubuntu 19.10
    Sorry for my bad English language.
    Last edited by a.mushtaqali; January 30th, 2020 at 09:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Windows Share Folder

Open the file manager and at the bottom right type smb://IP_ADDRESS (replace with the IP address you've been using). When open you can pin it so next time all you need to do is click on it.

Beans

If you are looking for the Linux equivalent of Run ( Windows Key + R ) it's Alt + F2

The only problem is that in Windows when you run \\192.168.0.100 it assumes you are asking for the SMB host at that address and it automatically opens explorer to that address. In Linux you have to tell it explicitly what to do:

Alt + F2
    then
    Code:
    nautilus smb://192.168.0.100

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    Alt + F2
    then
    Code:
    nautilus smb://192.168.0.100
    This ^^^^worls too. Of course, replace the IP address with the one that is your Windows share.

And it's really surprising, at least to me, that you asked the exact same thing almost a year ago - https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2411619 -, didn't gave any feedback to the person trying to help you, and learned nothing meanwhile. Definitely not the way to go, personal opinion.