Thread: Oracle VM VirtualBox ! Works Good

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!

Cool Oracle VM VirtualBox ! Works Good

I have the full version of oracle VM Virtual Box Installed on Linux. It works awesome.
    Installed: Ubuntu 18.04, Cinnamon Remix, Open SUSE 15.1, AntiX 19.1, KDE NEON 5.17.5.
    This is a good way for me to Distro Hop and still stay Home.
    Does anyone have any recommendations for my next OS?
    I am waiting for the new Ubuntu LTS that is a definite install.

Beans
    Hidden!

Cool Re: Oracle VM VirtualBox ! Works Good

I installed the new Ubuntu Focal 20.04 daily build for 2-20-2020. Full install & updated through terminal.
    Work Awesome ! Everything works good. I am testing it in VirtualBox. Benchmark came out excellent.
    I would like to Thank the Developers for all of the Hard Work and Dedication that they have accomplished for Ubuntu.
    Ubuntu Focal Fossa (development branch)
    5.4.0-14-generic #17-Ubuntu SMP x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Python3

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FocalFossa/ReleaseSchedule
    Last edited by bernard010; February 21st, 2020 at 01:14 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Oracle VM VirtualBox ! Works Good

Quote Originally Posted by bernard010 View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations for my next OS?
    Install FreeBSD and OpenBSD. You will learn something new in the process.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks I will that is 2 distros that I have not tried yet. The Free BSD 12.1 - It is OK, different. Open BSD installer is in Shell- Command line. Thanks. Reminds me of old school Linux. I downloaded and installed Ghost BSD. Nick looking desktop. Thanks again.
    Last edited by bernard010; February 21st, 2020 at 05:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Note that FreeBSD, GhostBSD and OpenBSD are from the Unix family from the seventies from the Bell Labs Research Center by Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie and not Linux from 1993 by Linus Torvalds.

Worthwhile real Linux distros are Manjaro, Peppermint, Deepin and of course other Ubuntu 20.04 flavors like Kubuntu, Ubuntu Mate and others.
    I would install e.g. Ubuntu Mate 20.04 on the ZFS file system and have a look at those facilities with respect to data safety (COW), snapshots, compression, raid installation, backups etc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

The best way to distro hop/test beta builds is to try them out in VMs. I used to use VBox too and it's a good product, but you may wish to also look at KVM/Qemu which comes preinstalled on Ubuntu. KVM is also already compiled into the Linux kernel itself.

As for trying other OSes:

• BSD is not just another distro, but a whole different animal. It is not Linux (though it is a close cousin).
    • If looking at variants/distros as a survey of the Linux landscape, I recommend base Debian, Fedora, Manjaro (Arch-based), Sabayon (Gentoo-based) and that old grand-daddy of distros, Slackware.
    • If purely in geek mode and looking for something totally outside the beaten path, there are the following: Android, Hurd, Minix, ReactOS, OS/2, Haiku, Syllable, Icaros & FreeDOS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by bernard010 View Post
    This is a good way for me to Distro Hop and still stay Home.
    I am running Ubuntu 20.04 VBox VM in a Ubuntu 20.04 host. Once I realized I am no longer young , lost all the interests in distro hopping.