Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu problem with MicroSD Card.

Beans

Ubuntu problem with MicroSD Card.

Hello, I am fairly new to Ubuntu and having a problem that I would surly love to fix. My machine is a Lenovo 130s, it's a fairly new budget laptop that I am using for school and learning to code. The machine came with Windows 10 and so far has performed great for all my needs. I decided to add Ubuntu alongside windows 10 so I can get more familiar with Linux and so far I have been very pleased with Ubuntu's performance except for this one issue.

Problem: The machine has a micro SD card reader with a Samsung 128GB U3 card inserted. In windows, any files added to the card persist as expected. In Ubuntu, however, anything I add to the card is gone after a reboot.

To be clear, If I add files to the card while booted in windows, they are fine and can be read/used by both OSs, but anything added while I am in the Ubuntu OS, is gone after a reboot, regardless of OS.

Note: Any attempts to Format/Partition the SDcard while in Ubuntu (Using Gparted) are met with all kinds of I/O Errors, Formatting in windows to NTFS works fine without errors.

Thanks for looking!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu problem with MicroSD Card.

Thread moved to Hardware for a better fit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If NTFS Windows sets hibernation flag if fast start up is on. And Windows keeps turning it on with updates. So any data written from Linux, is removed as it restores from hibernation the file structure.

Fast Start up off (always on hibernation), note that Windows turns this back on with updates, SHIFT + Shut down button
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...2#post13488472
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-d...0-fast-startup
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by denverdecoy View Post
    Problem: The machine has a micro SD card reader with a Samsung 128GB U3 card inserted. In windows, any files added to the card persist as expected. In Ubuntu, however, anything I add to the card is gone after a reboot.

To be clear, If I add files to the card while booted in windows, they are fine and can be read/used by both OSs, but anything added while I am in the Ubuntu OS, is gone after a reboot, regardless of OS.

Note: Any attempts to Format/Partition the SDcard while in Ubuntu (Using Gparted) are met with all kinds of I/O Errors, Formatting in windows to NTFS works fine without errors.
    Classic symptoms of Windows fast startup needing to be disabled!

Windows doesn't close down but enters some sort of franken-sleep-hibernation mode. If it detects changes in filesystems when being started up (in reality awoken) it reverses them. Changes made in Ubuntu are reversed. Changes made in Windows survive a reboot.

Here's how you disable Windows fast startup:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-d...0-fast-startup

Disadvantage: Windows takes longer to boot.

Advantage: you get to keep your hair!

Edit: ninja'd by oldfred, but you get the picture.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

Unfortunately disabling "Fast startup" Has not fixed my problem

What I did: I followed the instructions to disable fast startup, did a quick reformat to NTFS. Created a couple of folders and files on the drive while in windows. Restarted machine and went over to Ubuntu, Drive contains windows files and folders. Created a few new files and folders from Ubuntu, went back to windows and they are gone again (Also gone when going back to Ubuntu). I did this whole process twice just in case, Dang I was really hoping this would fix it.

The Card seemingly works perfectly in windows, Could this be a driver issue within Ubuntu?

Thanks again for all the help.

Beans

Update: Just as a test I loaded Ubuntu, added some files and folders, un-mounted the drive and remounted, and they are gone. The ones I previously added in windows are still there, this is so frustrating! This machine has a pretty small internal storage so I was kind of counting on this microSD working as my larger volume, what a bummer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

After disabling fast startup in Windows, did you reboot at least once into Windows before booting into Ubuntu to add files there?

Also double-check that fast startup is still disabled. Windows may have done something between startups. Unlikely, but your symptoms do describe the fast startup problem.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

I tried booting windows again, just to make sure, Fast boot is still disabled. Went back to ubuntu, Files still don't persist even thru a "unmount" and "remount" unfortunately. Only the files created in windows persist. I am guesing this is probably a driver issue since this is a newer machine, which is unfortunate because Lenovo doesn't offer drivers for Linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by denverdecoy View Post
    I am guesing this is probably a driver issue since this is a newer machine, which is unfortunate because Lenovo doesn't offer drivers for Linux
    It is not a driver issue. The ntfs-3g driver that comes as default in Ubuntu is a perfectly capable read-write driver for NTFS.

Beans
    Hidden!

Your machine is a Lenovo 130s. I could test with Ubuntu 19.10 in a Lenovo V130, and it can write data that persist to an SD card. The two computers are different, but I think several components are the same.

Which version of Ubuntu are you running?

How do you write the files? Maybe you can try with

Code:
    echo 'Hello World' > hello.txt
    and test with

Code:
    cat hello.txt
    before and after unmounting and remounting.

You could also try with another file system (than NTFS). I suggest that you create an ext4 file system (with gparted), and try again with the commands above.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast