Thread: anyone tried Haiku .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

anyone tried Haiku .

I installed it and played around with a few hours. my old laptop seems to be unhappy with several linux distros and BSDs so I figured I might as well test haiku and to my surprise it works , sound does not but everything else does.
    its interesting and runs pretty decent on my old laptop other than the sound issue . not so many packages yet.

I think this could be interesting when it gets out og beta testing stages.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: anyone tried Haiku .

My old 32-bit Pentium-M Dell D800 seemed to run well with Haiku OS the last time I tried it out via Live CD (or was it Live-DVD?). Last time I checked, everyone was still working with nightly builds with no new release or release candidate for a couple of years. I wish the project well, but it seems to me that there is more to do than the devs have time for. I'll have to check up on Haiku!
    Windows 10, Mac OS and Ubuntu walk into a bar and...Wait. How does that go again?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

its actually not a bad system but its a single user system and its a little different than linux but I really think this operative system is fast and pretty cool and it works on my older hardware so I hope the project advances. I am watching some youtube videos about the system , its actually pretty neat.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Don't you just hate when your typing fingers work faster than your brain? I'd forgotten the Beta1 release from September 2018. Glad Haiku is progressing.
    Last edited by MoebusNet; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:57 PM. Reason: bug in memory
    Windows 10, Mac OS and Ubuntu walk into a bar and...Wait. How does that go again?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

yeah I do that a lot as well. however I been wathing some youtube reviews of haiku and the story behind it. it does look very interesting and the more I play with it the more it becomes a viable alterntive to linux on low end laptops , perhaps not as secure but its ligthening fast compared to other distributions I been trying to get working on that old laptop.
    I like its a single user system and I do not have to enter passwords all the time . I found out how to disable the ssh login and I also found out how to format a usb drive when I was playing with it a while ago.

I think I will start using it as often as possible for everyday stuff , until I figure out if I can get sound working on it. I saw some usb soundcards would work and I happen to have a few old soundcards lying around I want to see if they work.

haiku is pretty neat but I dont think its going to rival linux anytime soon to be honest .