Thread: Any interest in a 20.04 release party/installfest/get together?

Beans

Lightbulb Any interest in a 20.04 release party/installfest/get together?

Hello all! I know this space has been a little quiet, but would anyone here be interested in a meetup for the release of 20.04 on April 23? We'd have plenty of time to organize and spread the word to Ubuntu, Linux, and open source enthusiasts. If this sounds interesting, and anyone else is in, then let's definitely get this conversation started!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Any interest in a 20.04 release party/installfest/get together?

Might check with ALE.org and GATech Linux people. They have meetups all over the metro area and a meetup.com presence. I used to run InstallFests for about 5 yrs at SPSU/KSU. We tried to do one outside a school and it was just too hard for all the effort.

Middle GA has a LUG as does Athens, but ALE is the most active in the region. We have members from other states and Maddog lurks on our listsrv.

Beans

Thanks! Definitely will get in touch with both those groups. Sounds like having a small-scale install fest, if we even do one, might be the more reasonable plan. Thanks again for the information!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

https://www.meetup.com/ALE-Atlanta-Linux-Enthusiasts/ is the ALE meetup page. Check the calendar/Events. Very active. I attend the NW meetup many weeks. That's Cobb near I-75 (east of it) on Windy Hill. That sub-group is more Ubuntu slanted than the others, but all flavors are welcome.

About 50% of the people who show up do not register through meetup - only 5 showed up yesterday, but it was beautiful outside and Superbowl.
    Sign up for the ALE email lists here: https://ale.org/?page_id=5 Usually less than 5 messages a day. Linux sorta just works at this point, so questions are non-trivial. ALE has been around since the 1990s; over 1400 members now, but only about 50 don't just lurk.