Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help w/ Live USB & BIOS

Beans

Help w/ Live USB & BIOS

I have an HP 6570b Probook. I would like to reinstall Ubuntu because the laptop was purchased used. I created a Live USB w/ Ubuntu 18.04. After creating the live USB, I checked it by putting it into my laptop. Since an “UBUNTU 18_0” icon appears on my desktop, I’m assuming that I successfully created a Live Untuntu USB. When I called HP, they told me that Secure Boot on the 6570b is disabled by default and cannot be enabled. I went into the BIOS & turned off Fast Boot. USB device boot under System Configuration is checked. I changed Boot Mode from Legacy to UEFI Native (Without CSM) because I would like to do a UEFI/GPT installation. I also changed the UEFI Boot Order so that Generic USB Device is the first item on the list. Originally it showed OS Boot Manager. When I tried to install with OS Boot Manager as the first item on the list, I get the same error message below. When I save the changes and exit BIOS, instead of starting the Ubuntu installation, I get an error message, “No bootable image found, notebook will be shut down. Can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong?

Beans

Re: Help w/ Live USB & BIOS

Did you verify that the download of the Ubuntu iso was uncorrupted on the the download using an md5 cheksum?
    How, meaning what software did you use, did you create the Ubuntu usb?
    You make a reference to windows but do not indicate which windows you are using, is it 10 or??
    How do you access the BIOS to change boot options? Not sure your computer is the same but on my HP laptop, I hit the Esc key on boot and then see several options. These include the F9 key to do a one time change of boot options. The F10 key makes a permanent change so what you want is the F9 key.

When I tried to install with OS Boot Manager as the first item on the list
    The expected behavior with that selection would be to boot windows. Do you no longer have windows installed?

Beans

Hi, Yancek. Thank you for the reply!

My laptop came with Ubuntu installed. Ubuntu is the only OS on it. Windows is not installed, not 7, 8 or 10.

I made the Live USB a while back & can't remember whether I checked the md5 checksum or not, I'll check it right now.

I used Rufus to flash the USB on a second Windows computer that I have.

About accessing BIOS, yes, I hit <Esc> to edit/change the BIOS. The main menu reads "F9 Boot Device Options" and "F10 BIOS setup".

I actually was trying to make permanent changes to my laptop, specifically turning fast boot off, UEFI on & secure boot off. I've backed up everything I need & intend to delete the partitions & recreate the file structure to one that is GTP/UEFI. But if changing "BIOS Setup" is the wrong way to install Ubuntu, I will do whatever you suggest.

A----
    Last edited by ardvark-700; January 19th, 2020 at 03:52 AM.

Beans

Okay, I checked the SHA256SUM for the iso file I downloaded, and the checksums match. Is there a way to verify it after you flash the USB?

If it's helpful, I checked the menu options available when I hit <Esc> to edit the BIOS, and under <F9> Boot Device Options, the sub-menu options are * Notebook Ethernet IPV6, * Notebook Ethernet IPV4, and * Boot From EFI File.

A-----
    Last edited by ardvark-700; January 19th, 2020 at 03:53 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have seen some screen shots of Rufus where it seems to create either an UEFI/gpt configuration or a BIOS/(MBR - UEFI CSM) configuration.
    CSM - UEFI Compatibility Support Module (CSM), which emulates a BIOS mode, only available with secure boot off.

Make sure you have an UEFI bootable configuration, not CSM.

Many older systems need UEFI update whether installing Ubuntu or not.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thank you, Fred. I will study the link you provided me tomorrow over a cup of coffee and create a new Live USB. I'll roll back the changes on my Ubuntu laptop and use another (hopefully more reliable) utility to make the Live USB. A-----

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Personal opinion: Any software in Ubuntu for making live USBs is better and easier than Rufus.

The default app for that task or MKUSB are fine. Then it's recommended to disable Legacy/CSM in UEFI settings to assure the installer will boot and consequentially install in UEFI mode.

Beans
    Hidden!

Maybe the following links can help you:

Why Doesn't a Bootable USB Boot - Flow chart and lists of many different possible things to check for

help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick/tmp - 'tmp' because I am in the process of revamping an old help page to make it easier to use. Any feedback is welcome (if it is useful, easy or difficult to understand, what might be modified ...)

Now that you have verified that the iso file is correctly downloaded, I suggest that you use the reliable cloning method to make your USB pendrive into an Ubuntu live drive.

Just make sure that the iso file contains a current version of Ubuntu, 18.04.x LTS or 19.10. (x is a digit showing the 'point version' of 18.04.)

In Ubuntu you can use the built-in Startup Disk Creator or mkusb.

In Windows you can use Win32 Disk Imager or Rufus in 'dd-mode' (not the default mode).

The result will very likely be an Ubuntu live drive, that can boot both in UEFI mode and BIOS mode (alias CSM alias legacy mode).

* You can try booting another computer to make sure that the Ubuntu live drive is good,
    * and after that look for problems with the problematic computer.
    - Settings in the BIOS menus
    - Try in all USB ports (also USB 2 ports)
    - Disconnect other devices, that are connected via USB. They may confuse the system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@sudodus
    The https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...omUSBStick/tmp gives an Internal Server Error

Worked this time, 2 hours later
    Last edited by P-I H; January 19th, 2020 at 11:19 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by P-I H View Post
    @sudodus
    The https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...omUSBStick/tmp gives an Internal Server Error
    It works for me (now, a few seconds ago). Please try again. I have not done anything special to make that address hidden; I can't explain your problem, but think it might be a temporary error.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast