Thread: Installing Ubuntu Studio on Virtual Box hangs with more than 1 cpu

Beans

Installing Ubuntu Studio on Virtual Box hangs with more than 1 cpu

I am running Virtual Box 6.1 on Win 10 Pro with AMD FX 8320 8 core and 16GB RAM. If I try to install or run Ubuntu Studio 19.10 with more than 1 cpu, it hangs and fails to install or boot.

I can successfully install and run the following (in the same VirtualBox 6.1):
    Kubuntu 19.10 4cpu 4GB
    Xubuntu 19.10 2cpu 2GB
    Lubuntu 19.10 2cpu 2GB
    Ubuntu Desktop 19.10 4cpu 8GB

I tried Ubuntu Studio as 4cpu 8GB, but hung. I saw a thread from last year where someone mentioned having an issue with Ubuntu Studio > 1cpu, so I dropped to 1cpu 8GB and it installed successfully. I successfully added VB Guest Additions. I reconfigred to 4cp 8GB but it would not boot up (hung). I reconfigured to 2cpu 8GB and still hung. I reconfigured to 1cpu 8GB and it booted successfully.

Since Ubuntu and other official flavors do not seem to have this issue, it makes me thing it is a difference between Ubuntu Studio and Ubuntu (maybe the kernel or something?). Any pointers for me?

I wanted to get back to using Ubuntu Studio (used to use 16.04 and 18.04), but if I can't use more than 1cpu, would I be better off installing tools into Ubuntu or another flavor with multiple cpus?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Installing Ubuntu Studio on Virtual Box hangs with more than 1 cpu

Ubuntu Studio ships with the low-latency kernel versus the generic kernel that all other Ubuntu flavors ship.
    Not that that is the issue, but it is something that is different between them.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful