Thread: A Install Request for next ubuntu 19.20

Beans

A Install Request for next ubuntu 19.20

Could the Programmers Please include Boot-repair on the live desktop display. Just in-case of a grub boot problem. So I can go to terminal and access boot-repair and repair while in sudo.
    This will help greatly and I would be very grateful. Reply is not necessary.
    Thank you
    Rich

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: A Install Request for next ubuntu 19.20

Moved to Chat
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: A Install Request for next ubuntu 19.20

Quote Originally Posted by at446zz View Post
    Could the Programmers Please include Boot-repair on the live desktop display. Just in-case of a grub boot problem. So I can go to terminal and access boot-repair and repair while in sudo.
    This will help greatly and I would be very grateful. Reply is not necessary.
    Thank you
    Rich
    Boot-Repair is far from perfect and sometimes it does more harm than good, especially with UEFI boot issues. Most people have UEFI these days. Also, it is a GUI, so it won't work in a non-GUI environment. The recovery mode provided by most live-install environments allows both BIOS and UEFI repairs to be made with just a few, short, commands. If you go into recovery mode and mount the normal storage partitions, then you can reinstall grub easily with :
    Code:
    grub-install /dev/sdZ
    where sdZ is the HDD/SSD where you want it installed and have grub search all the partitions available for other OSes and update the menu with
    Code:
    update-grub
    For a normal install wthout LVM or encryption, that's pretty much it to fix grub.

Alas, nobody here works for Canonical, so great ideas aren't likely to get any action. We are just people like you who happen to volunteer helping others.

BTW, Ubuntu release numbers are {YY.MM} format. Releases happen in April (04) and October (10), hence why there are 14.04, 16.04, 18.04, 20.04 releases for the even years, in April. The other releases (odd years and in October) are all non-LTS. Does that make sense?