Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: man page for starting terminal

Quote Originally Posted by DanPerecky View Post
    s855-ubuntu@s855ubuntu-VB:~$ apt-cache policy gnome-terminal
    gnome-terminal:
    Installed: (none)...
    So how do I know what version terminal I'm even running?
    You don't have gnome terminal installed at all according to that output.

From your first post ...
    I am using Ubuntu 18.04.2
    ... however gnome-terminal is standard for stock ubuntu installs. Which has me thinking you may have actually used an ubuntu-mate iso to install a "flavor" of Ubuntu not the main Ubuntu distro. The various flavors use different desktop environments and vary quite widely in applications used but all use the same base "core" ubuntu packages.

If you want to use gnome-terminal it is easy to install with ...
    Code:
    sudo apt install gnome-terminal
    Unless you have a specific need for gnome terminal mate terminal is, in my opinion, a better option. The gnome devs have changed too much in the newer gnome terminal version for my needs. I use terminal profiles and profile names to create custom terminals for various specialized usage. Removal of my ability to control the terminal names stopped me in my tracks so most of my current terminal usage is now with mate terminal. Either are good though for most users.

Edit: On re-reading this I just noted your original issue...
    I am trying to open terminal with more columns / rows.
    In the next screenshot there are 4 very different mate terminals open, 2 with their preferences window open to show the size settings in use. The default profile has the size settings greyed out/unticked (standard) the large xmms2 terminal is set to a much larger size (like you are inquiring about). The other 2 are resized the same as the xmms2 terminal profile and have their window decorations stripped along with their placement and other aspects controlled with the devilspie2 daemon I use on this install. Profiles may be of use for you if you want to keep the default settings on one profile and have other profiles set up differently sized as well. There is also a "--geometry" switch you can use if you are not interested in setting up profiles.
    mate-profiles.jpg
    Full Resolution on google drive

Regards, yeti.
    Last edited by yetimon_64; January 27th, 2020 at 03:54 PM. Reason: noted OP's original inquiry re. columns/rows.

Beans

Re: man page for starting terminal

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    You're actually running 'mate-terminal', the default in Ubuntu-MATE. Replace all the commands above for the proper name to confirm version.
    Right....
    Code:
    man mate-terminal
    works.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Thank You everybody for the info.....

Beans

Thumbs up Re: man page for starting terminal

Quote Originally Posted by yetimon_64 View Post
    You don't have gnome terminal installed at all according to that output.

From your first post ...

... however gnome-terminal is standard for stock ubuntu installs. Which has me thinking you may have actually used an ubuntu-mate iso to install a "flavor" of Ubuntu not the main Ubuntu distro. The various flavors use different desktop environments and vary quite widely in applications used but all use the same base "core" ubuntu packages.

If you want to use gnome-terminal it is easy to install with ...
    Code:
    sudo apt install gnome-terminal
    Unless you have a specific need for gnome terminal mate terminal is, in my opinion, a better option. The gnome devs have changed too much in the newer gnome terminal version for my needs. I use terminal profiles and profile names to create custom terminals for various specialized usage. Removal of my ability to control the terminal names stopped me in my tracks so most of my current terminal usage is now with mate terminal. Either are good though for most users.

Edit: On re-reading this I just noted your original issue...

In the next screenshot there are 4 very different mate terminals open, 2 with their preferences window open to show the size settings in use. The default profile has the size settings greyed out/unticked (standard) the large xmms2 terminal is set to a much larger size (like you are inquiring about). The other 2 are resized the same as the xmms2 terminal profile and have their window decorations stripped along with their placement and other aspects controlled with the devilspie2 daemon I use on this install. Profiles may be of use for you if you want to keep the default settings on one profile and have other profiles set up differently sized as well. There is also a "--geometry" switch you can use if you are not interested in setting up profiles.
    mate-profiles.jpg
    Full Resolution on google drive

Regards, yeti.
    Yes... sorry. I am using ubuntu mate....

I like the --geometry switch... That was what I was looking for - to have a bigger window when needed... Which will be available to start from the top Panel strip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12