Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snaps

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Snaps

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    But some kind of universal package is going to be required if people want big software on Linux and not "alternatives".
    THIS!

Number one argument for packaging software like snaps. you package once and you can use that software on any distro of choice. this is something that is much needed in Linux.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

There are some packages that are only available as snaps. "Caprine" is the first one that comes to mind...
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans

And this is my concern with snaps. I understand the concept of containerizing applications in such a way that whatever modules are required for the the application to communicate with the kernel will also be incorporated into the container. Thus, if multiple snap applications are installed and several of them require the same module, there will be duplication - and in my opinion needless duplication. But the devs for each snap application will not coordinate module usage, so that problem is not resolvable. There will likely also be UI presentation differences among them. The differences may be subtle, they may not be subtle. I'm hoping it won't be a disaster, and zero integration.

It's almost be more useful if the *buntus moved to a rolling release model - new(er) application software, but some degree of integration.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jglen4902 View Post
    There will likely also be UI presentation differences among them. The differences may be subtle, they may not be subtle.
    The Gnome devs are determined to do that with regular packages anyway, so... there's that.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jglen4902 View Post
    There will likely also be UI presentation differences among them. The differences may be subtle, they may not be subtle. I'm hoping it won't be a disaster, and zero integration.
    not much of an issue. in windows you get Metro , then you use a GTK app and it will have completelly different UI (looks kind of like old Gnome in Ubuntu) and then you load some KDE4win and get QT apps, again with a different gui. but still it all works relatively well together.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans

My main worry is that snaps will become the default for everything. They have a time and place (looking at you Chromium) but are a very heavy solution which is needed only in special cases.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12