Thread: Ubuntu Laptop?

Beans

Ubuntu Laptop?

Hello,

I'm in desperate need of a laptop to run Ubuntu. I was using Ubuntu in two laptops from two brands (Asus and HP) for years and they both had these issues:

- The battery got killed after about 2 months. I can't use them unless I plug in the charger. Both have Windows installed previously longer than 2 months (the Asus one about 2 years) and never had this issue.

- Overheating. Instead of turning the fan faster, the CPU got throttled, which didn't help to reduce the heat. I was unable to control the fan speed. I think the discrete GPU in the Asus laptop died because of this.

If you guys have/had a good experience using Ubuntu on a laptop for a relatively long time, please share your story. What laptop did you use (and probably links to the product page)?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ubuntu Laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by souvenirque View Post
    If you guys have/had a good experience using Ubuntu on a laptop for a relatively long time, please share your story. What laptop did you use (and probably links to the product page)?
    My XPS 13 came with Ubuntu pre-installed. I've had it for about five years. It's been flawless. The battery was getting a bit tired so I recently replaced it, which was pretty easy. I think it came with 14.04, and I upgraded it to 16.04 and then 18.04. I used to use Cinnamon on it, but I recently switched it to KDE.

If I needed a new laptop I wouldn't hesitate to get one of those, particularly since the new models come with a 16:10 screen.

They've got other models that come with Ubuntu pre-installed now. Those are marketed as Developer Edition, or referred to internally as Project Sputnik.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

If you ask about laptops that last long with Ubuntu installed, people will mention old laptop models. The recent models haven't had a chance to run for long.

I've got an HP ProBook 4530s that has been running Ubuntu for over 8 years. The original battery is still going strong. I don't even notice any reduction in capacity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I have an HP Elitebook 8460p dual booting Windows with Ubuntu and/or Ubuntu Budgie for years. I can't comment on battery life because it is mostly docked. The HP partioning scheme made the dual boot difficult without a third party tool, but it is not a problem since wipping the drive when switching to a Win 10 and Ubuntu Budgie dual boot. U Budgie runs extreamly cool and quiet.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Dell and an HP and a Sony Vaio. All were thrown away. One had a bad HD in it, one had something spilled on the keyboard (a soak of the keyboard in warm water fixed that), and one was deemed too old to run new software. 2 of the 3 had bad batteries when I got / found them. Both batteries replaced. All 3 are now happily running Xubuntu 18.04 with no issues. The Dell was a 17" so I opted for a larger battery on that one: it runs for about 6 hours on a charge.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.