Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to know how much ink I have

Beans

I want to know how much ink I have

Since I gave up Windows around 2005 I have missed only one thing. I used to have a program that showed me how much ink was left in my printer cartridges. Is there any way to check that with Ubuntu 18.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: I want to know how much ink I have

It depends on the printer. HP printers will show that information in HPLIP.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

A real geek, would put a webcam on the printer...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    It depends on the printer. HP printers will show that information in HPLIP.
    Thanks. I have HP. How do I do it? (Please excuse ignorance!)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

It's in the repositories; you'd install it the same as any other software. Then, when you run it, it has a tab called "Supplies" that shows ink levels. You can also do the normal print job stuff in an interface that you might think is prettier than the CUPS one.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Point of information: if you want a pretty GUI app, you would need the package hplip-gui. hplip provides all the backend stuff and is a dependency of hplip-gui, but it's the gui package that I think the OP would want.

I'm fairly sure that hplip comes as default in Ubuntu, but that you need to install hplip-gui if you want it. The module for monitoring ink levels (and other stuff) is called HP Toolbox.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Point of information: if you want a pretty GUI app, you would need the package hplip-gui.
    +1

Last time I use a HP printer was some years ago. I vaguely remember search for and installing it with the software center.

But now (19.10) there's only 'hplip-printer-application' (snap) and an alternative menu as a Gnome extension.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I installed refillable cartridges in my inkjet printer. They're translucent so I can see at a glimpse. They also hold a lot more ink than 'normal' cartridges - no sponges - so i don't have to refill them very often. I'm lucky that my printer is old enough to not have chipped ink cartridges which makes things simpler.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    I installed refillable cartridges in my inkjet printer. They're translucent so I can see at a glimpse. They also hold a lot more ink than 'normal' cartridges - no sponges - so i don't have to refill them very often. I'm lucky that my printer is old enough to not have chipped ink cartridges which makes things simpler.
    I would like to do the same. How do I go about it? LOGIE

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by logie View Post
    I would like to do the same. How do I go about it? LOGIE
    Just do a web search for compatible cartridges "printer-make/model" You will probably get many links to look at and research a bit further. I have been using compatible cartridges for many years here in the UK with no problems, but I suggest you look for reviews of the cartridges before purchase.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast