Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Ubuntu instead of Manjaro?

Beans

Why Ubuntu instead of Manjaro?

There a lot of articles on the Internet on the topic "Why I switched to Manjaro form Ubuntu", but can't find any "To Ubuntu from Manjaro". Can you argue in favor of Ubuntu, in what ways it's better than Manjaro?
    Must say that Manjaro is amazingly stable on my laptop, for a long time, not a bit less stable than Ubuntu, sometime even better
    (at some time there even was an issue with Ubuntu and there wasn't such on Manjaro;
    and their Network Manager on Manjaro XFCE completely works, unlike Xubuntu's.).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Why Ubuntu instead of Manjaro?

I have had trouble installing community maintained versions of Manjaro on two compters. In my case it was not a matter of better it was an installation problem. I had used Manjaro Deepin and the desktop features were not fully functional. I tried again a year later and was unable to install the same release after creating multple ISO's. I used the same DVD to create a Ubuntu Budgie ISO and It worked imedatley . I would like to install a rolling release and may try a Manjaro stable release again in the future. I found their forum community helpful and inviting. In the end,people use what works best for them.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

"Dog bites man" isn't as newsworthy as "man bites dog."

I'm using Linux and I picked the popular new-user friendly one that everyone's heard of just doesn't get the clicks or the advertising revenue. I'm sure Manjaro is perfectly fine as a distro, but you can't draw any conclusions from the prevalence of articles about it.

"Try whichever ones interest you; pick the one you like most" is the same advice as it's always been.

Beans

I've had issues with Manjaro after updates not always though but quite a bit and I was using the LTS / stable kernel however Manjaro is a rolling release and when it was working it did work well.

I've have the best results with Debian based distros and Ubuntu and Ubuntu based distros both are rock solid stable from my experience on my 2007 and 2010 desktop Frankenstein builds.

I guess it's just what you get used to using and what works best for what you use your computer for and for me that ain't much just basic stuff.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

Thanks, guys.

Beans

Never used it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Can you argue in favor of Ubuntu, in what ways it's better than Manjaro?
    No. Not until I learn a lot more about Manjaro.

Why Ubuntu instead of Manjaro?
    For me it is my familiarity with the Debian packaging system (.deb) and management tools etc.

Late last year, after 12 years on Ubuntu, I installed Manjaro for the first time. I liked the system generally and could keep it updated with the GUI tool provided but never "felt at home" using it that way. I have become too used to updating in terminal on Ubuntu; a habit left over from the days when Update Manager on Ubuntu was often nicknamed Update Mangler (about the time of Jaunty/Karmic/Lucid, ~ 2009 or 2010).

After recent problems with my Xubuntu install and a reconfiguration of my partitioning layout I have only 3 of my original 5 installations left; Manjaro and Xubuntu are gone. I still intend to reinstall Manjaro and Xubuntu but I'll likely leave Manjaro till last and only after I put in a bit more effort to research/learn more about pacman commands and updating of rolling releases. Basically it takes time/energy to learn a new system; two things that are sorely lacking for me at the moment so Manjaro is "on the back burner" at this time for me.

One comment I can make about Manjaro was it was very easy to install and looks very good. From my recent attempt I can see myself using both systems in the near future. Not a switch over but more or less running both in dual boot and booting into whichever appeals to me on any particular day.

Cheers, yeti.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I fired up a copy of Manjaro because a friend told me that it was better at game performance than Kubuntu. He was right. I got at least 1-2 FPS more with some game, and 1-2 fps less on other, in Manjaro...

I'm happy sticking with Kubuntu for the time being. Plus, we are only 3 months away from what I hope to be one of the best Ubuntu releases yet.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A company will pay me for Ubuntu or Debian or RHEL or CentOS help. That's the main reason for Ubuntu.
    I've never seen any advertised job say "Manjaro required", but I haven't looked specifically.

I distro-hopped in the 1990s. Tried all of them at the time. At a certain point in life, it is not about knowing everything, but knowing enough so we can do other things on our bucket lists away from computers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    At a certain point in life, it is not about knowing everything, but knowing enough so we can do other things on our bucket lists away from computers.
    Hear, hear!
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast