Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Why Ubuntu instead of Manjaro?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Why Ubuntu instead of Manjaro?

I dual-boot Manjaro MATE with Ubuntu MATE. I use Manjaro for my daily driver to have the apps which Debian no longer supports, and therefore, Ubuntu doesn't. I also got tired of using PPAs, one of which stopped updating in 2014, iirc.

Manjaro itself has packages for some of those programs, and the AUR has the rest. Arch-based systems download source code from the AUR, install every dependency, and compile the code automatically. I have my must-have music program, Aqualung. With Ubuntu I, even with experience, took 25-30 minutes to compile it myself, and had to compile GTK2 to boot.

Manjaro took 5-6 minutes to compile it. For me, I choose Manjaro for the much larger software availabiliy.

I started with Ubuntu 8.04, and I love Ubuntu MATE, but software matters more.

Manjaro is as easy to install and as user-friendly as Ubuntu, and that makes it very easy to start with. Ubuntu's original slogan was "Linux for human beings." Manjaro is "Arch for the rest of us."

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I was dual booting Manjaro KDE and MX Linux. I got rid of Manjaro coz I was tired of installing 500MB+ updates every other day.
    MX is awesome. I don't miss Manjaro at all.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I think you need to consider why you use Manjaro. If you want the latest software, why not use Debian SID or Fedora? Many software developers spend a lot of time building high quality applications. When you use an LTS operating system, you are banking on a few years in the past to provide a "stable" operating system. But in reality, newer packages can provide a good experience and work in an older system or "stable" LTS system. Ubuntu provides the ability to create a stable LTS standard and then customize from there. In case of enterprise, this is huge. And I couldn't imagine running Fedora, Debian SID, or even Manjaro in such a place.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by linuxyogi View Post
    I was dual booting Manjaro KDE and MX Linux. I got rid of Manjaro coz I was tired of installing 500MB+ updates every other day.
    MX is awesome. I don't miss Manjaro at all.
    Hmm -- never used Manjaro b/c I just run Arch on a bunch of different computer. 500Mb? I really curious to what Manjaro is doing. No way Arch every single day has 500Mb worth of updates.

Beans

I really liked Fedora back in the day but it was more of a vanilla linux and no matter how many hours I spent installing codecs and configuring them and mixers I could just never get multimedia dialed in correctly . some video formats would play , others wouldnt be supported .

So I installed Ubuntu Studio . I think I'm on 19.10 now . This isnt an LTS distro so its not the most stable OS I've ever used . But being specifically a multi media distro everything needed came pre installed and configured.

Never had any unsupported audio or video formats on this . Love it .

I do however wish I'd installed an LTS version though .

I have weird glitches like hardware volume keys work intermittently . When I unplug the 3.5mm to usb adapter I use to run sound to a hi fi stereo The hardware keys drop off but if I unplug the adapter and use native speakers in my laptop they keys start working again and will even work for a few days when I plug the adapter back in but then eventually will stop working again . Things like that . No big deal but the latest version distro certainly has its issues.
    HP 17byxxxxx Laptop 8th Gen i5-8250u
    8gb ram , 16gb intel optane
    Ubuntu Studio 19.04
    Intel UHD 620 graphics

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Hmm -- never used Manjaro b/c I just run Arch on a bunch of different computer. 500Mb? I really curious to what Manjaro is doing. No way Arch every single day has 500Mb worth of updates.
    What Manjaro does is receive the updates from Arch then test them and release them at once so they are bigger in size.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by ruze View Post
    I think you need to consider why you use Manjaro. If you want the latest software, why not use Debian SID or Fedora?

they tried that with Mint Debian and it was just too buggy. for common user (well someone that actually uses the OS), someone has to do at least a bit of testing before releasing the beta stuff to them. it is different for developers and those on the edge or people with time on their hands. i know that when i was young and still in high school and later in university i had plenty of time on my hands and liked to run beta software on windows. not so much anymore. i spend maybe 1 hour at home behind computer and i would appreciate if in that 1 hour i don't have to deal with major bugs.

i think that is the reason why current Mint Debian, Manjaro, KDE Neon seem like a decent compromise to user that want to run their system, use some new things and try some new features, but just don't have the time to put into major bug solving.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I like both Manjaro and Xubuntu. For me they are largely the same, both using xfce, I have a slight preference for Xubuntu, since I'm familiar with the package manager. With snaps, app-images and flat-packs it is getting much easier to run the latest version of the apps and the difference between Linux 5.4 and 5.5 is mainly of interest for people with hardware released in the last few months.
    I agree with Chris Titus the YouTuber, the choice of the desktop is more relevant than the choice of the distro. People promoting the one or the other, do it mainly based on anecdotal evidence, that is very particular for their errors, specific hardware or expectations, so it is often just noise

For 20.04 I will try to move for my main apps to snaps or the others formats as done by "Chris Were Digital", because it is easier to get the latest. And if the new app snap has an issue, I can easily roll it back with a snap command.
    Last edited by lammert-nijhof; March 1st, 2020 at 08:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lammert-nijhof View Post
    I agree with Chris Titus the YouTuber, the choice of the desktop is more relevant than the choice of the distro. People promoting the one or the other, do it mainly based on anecdotal evidence, that is very particular for their errors, specific hardware or expectations, so it is often just noise
    I agree.
    But the familiarity or lack thereof with specific tools and workflows is still relevant ate least for a family of distros and often to specific ones.

And, for the benefit of @u30002, "anecdotal evidence" above has nothing to do with jokes either (the context is the same of when I mentioned your anecdotes), an English to Portuguese translation is tricky and the Google Translate suggestion - evidência anedótica - is flat out wrong. A proper translation is provas circunstanciais (note the singular in English and plural in Portuguese). Also depoimentos or testemunhos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast