Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why Ubuntu instead of Manjaro?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Why Ubuntu instead of Manjaro?

I used to run Arch for a long time and I started back when you configured the whole system from a single text config file. Those were the days! But I ran Ubuntu on other machines as well. Arch is still interesting but time consuming. Xubuntu and Ubuntu Mate are my main go-to's these days. Quick and easy to install and stable, for the most part. One advantage with Ubuntu and variants is the bigger user base and the support you can get. One disadvantage is that software often is one version behind. Like now, I'm on Xubuntu 18.04 but really wanted Xfce 4.14 - tried the xfce staging repo - no updates. I ended up downloading all the deb packages for 4.14 and installing them manually with dpkg. It went well, but it isn't for the faint hearted.

On a side note; oftentimes when searching for Ubuntu problems I end up, via googling, on the Arch forums or the Arch wiki. They have a very nice knowledge base built up over the years.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by webaake View Post
    .. I ended up downloading all the deb packages for 4.14 and installing them manually with dpkg. It went well, but it isn't for the faint hearted....
    +1,That definitely sounds like it is not for the faint hearted.

Were you aware of the "Jonathon F. PPA" for xfce 4.14 --here--?
    If you are OK with using PPAs and their associated risks, they can be much easier than using dpkg when doing installations like that one.

Cheers, yeti.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I'm used to PPA's but since the Xfce staging PPA didn't update anything and I didn't know Jonathon's PPA at all, I didn't try his repo. The old trusty app aptitude was a great help too! And also, I read a couple of places that Xfce 4.14 wouldn't be backported to 18.04. And 19.10 seems bug ridden and 20.04 isn't stable yet. So there you go...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345