Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Ubuntu instead of Manjaro?

Beans

Re: Why Ubuntu instead of Manjaro?

Rolling releases, by definition, are less stable.
    By definition are less, but on practice I've seen that it may be the opposite. And there one con of stable distros: what isn't working going to continue to be not working for much longer time.
    Anecdotes aren't data!
    It's not anecdotes, it's what I've seen, it's what was going on. Constant 100% CPU load even in IDLE was real. It's not a joke, so it's not an anecdote.
    And I suspect that even real data wouldn't make fanboys change their minds.
    That's my real experience, it's objective stuff. I don't understand how that may be an anecdote, may be you can explain. Actually you're sound like a fanboy, isn't it: I'm telling you what I had, you're ignoring that, calling that an anecdote.
    Last edited by u30002; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:15 PM.

Beans

Did you have these problems with Ubuntu LTS or the other releases?
    I only use LTS.
    What would you say are the skills you learn from installing Manjaro, instead of using Ubuntu?
    I figured out how to bypass a problem with Network Manager, nobody could help me on Askubuntu or here, to my surprise only people on Manjaro forum knew what to do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by u30002 View Post
    (...) It's not a joke, so it's not an anecdote.

(...) I don't understand how that may be an anecdote, may be you can explain. Actually you sound like a fanboy, isn't it: I'm telling you what I had, you're ignoring that, calling that an anecdote.
    https://www.dictionary.com/browse/anecdote?s=t

Clearly you don't understand this word's most common usage in modern English. Is it because you're, perhaps, a native speaker of Portuguese? That is the only language I know where such misunderstanding could occur. Not even in Spanish that would be an issue as attested by: https://dle.rae.es/an%C3%A9cdota

In a nutshell, your own experience (or two, or...) is NOT DATA!

Beans

From my experience most Ubuntu LTS Distros work great without problems on all of my old outdated Frankenstein builds and I choose the Ubuntu LTS Distro with the preferred user interface I want.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!

I've been using one or other of the Ubuntu family now for just over 15 years, having moved to 5.04 following temporarily using 4.10 alongside Windows XP.

I have also many times installed alternative distros, and for me nothing comes close to the package management of the Debian based distros. Debian is not very difficult to use but Ubuntu made it even easier by adding such things as the easier installation of proprietary drivers if they were needed.

I have not tried Manjaro except as a live system, but I have installed and used Arcolinux-XFCE, both as a bare metal install and currently as a VM using Virtualbox-6.1.2. That has been almost as easy to use as the Ubuntu OSs though it has not been totally faultless and at one point I had a major problem updating several packages which were said to be corrupt. I eventually solved that but it took a long search in the Arch/Arcolinux forum.

There are also some complicated ways to install certain applications, for example LibreOffice which requires an Arch script to download the source packages and then takes a fairly long time to compile and install them; much simpler and quicker to do it the Debian/Ubuntu way.

Finally, I have not personally found Arcolinux (therefore, I would suggest Manjaro/Arch) to run any faster than my Xubuntu, and perhaps as a result of my long term use and knowledge of Xubuntu, I would prefer Xubuntu any time!
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

Yeah the closest thing to a rolling release that I use is MX-19 and Antix-19 and both work great OOTB.

Antix-19 is somewhat of a hands on Linux Distro and can be a PITA sometimes but fun and it's fast and it fits a CD.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

Clearly you don't understand this word's most common usage in modern English. Is it because you're, perhaps, a native speaker of Portuguese? That is the only language I know where such misunderstanding could occur. Not even in Spanish that would be an issue as attested by: https://dle.rae.es/an%C3%A9cdota

In a nutshell, your own experience (or two, or...) is NOT DATA!
    You right, English isn't my native and it isn't statistics.

Beans

That's why I said that disagree about instability. One or two isn't data.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'm big big fan or Arch -- probably have gone through the installation like 20-30 times. Its not actually all that bad. Recently been playing around with the ZOL stuff which is fun to play with. Dataset snapshots are the bomb!!

In terms of rolling release vs point distros -- Have I had stuff on Arch "break for me" -- Heck yea!! -- never to the point of the OS not working however. What was the reason?? I didn't read the Arch wiki prior to upgrading. Usually get bit by this bug about once a year. However--- you know what's more of a pain in my opinion -- The 2 year upgrade cycle between LTS releases. I hate doing those. Many times things break -- and with help its possible to work around -- but yikes --- I hate hate those days. With "rolling releases" I never have to go through that pain.

So as poster above hinted -- by experience I've really found the rolling release model more stable in day to day use.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

No rolling release for this boy. Ever. I have tried a couple, but my brief experience with rolling release distros has been bad.

Best distro for NEWBIES: Linux Lite

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast