Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Ubuntu instead of Manjaro?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Why Ubuntu instead of Manjaro?

i use it because it works. and once it works i like i can install it and it keeps working. i wish Kubuntu support period was back to 5 years. i like to keep things the same if they work. that way i don't have to deal with issues and OS. i would like the OS ot get out of the way. unfortunately Kubuntu 18.04 is out of support next year, and i hope this time LTS->LTS upgrade works.

also support from software companies as well as hardware is good for Ubuntu.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'm not sure why you would use Manjaro rather than Arch -- which Manjaro is derived from. Just a thought.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    I'm not sure why you would use Manjaro rather than Arch -- which Manjaro is derived from. Just a thought.
    I can answer that for most Manjaro Users... Installation.

Arch is a wonderful distro, but it's installation is not easy, and takes quite some time and knowledge to set up.
    Manjaro has a very easy installer, and it's set up from the get-go.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I've tried out most of the distributions, including Manjaro and at a certain point I experienced problems. Ubuntu is way more stable than Arch-based distributions. Of course these problems have solutions but then the question is simple; do you want to work with an OS or is the objective to learn about the OS? For people on the edge Manjaro is the way to go, and even better, Arch. And those of us using a PC better stay with Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jdeca57 View Post
    I've tried out most of the distributions, including Manjaro and at a certain point I experienced problems. Ubuntu is way more stable than Arch-based distributions. Of course these problems have solutions but then the question is simple; do you want to work with an OS or is the objective to learn about the OS? For people on the edge Manjaro is the way to go, and even better, Arch. And those of us using a PC better stay with Ubuntu.
    Exactly!

Me, being in the middle-ground, I have both
    Of course, most of the times I use Ubuntu because it just works and is stable. Any rolling release like Manjaro I use just for fun and to learn a slightly different set of skills.

Beans

I've tried out most of the distributions, including Manjaro and at a certain point I experienced problems.
    Of course, most of the times I use Ubuntu because it just works and is stable. Any rolling release like Manjaro I use just for fun and to learn a slightly different set of skills.
    Completely disagree. That's an obsolete information. I felt something like that too, may be 2-3 years ago, but these days it's not less reliable than Ubuntu if not better at times.
    I can give 2 examples.
    Once I had problem with 100% CPU on Ubuntu, Manjaro didn't has it at the same time.
    Network Manager: in Xubuntu it lags with certain type of connection and in Manjaro XFCE it works just fine.
    And I can't say form my Manjaro experience (of the last several months) that it's for OS-learners.
    Last edited by u30002; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by u30002 View Post
    Completely disagree. That's an obsolete information. I felt something like that too, may be 2-3 years ago, but these days it's not less reliable than Ubuntu if not better at times.
    You may be right, because my experience dates from a few years ago, but as an example in that time the standard was to download packages and never purge them so that eventually one would run out of disk space if you selected the standard offered partitions at a first install. Repeating, again that was a personal opinion. And I try out distributions, but not always the same...

Beans

Did you have these problems with Ubuntu LTS or the other releases? I only ask as I've tended to stay on the LTS releases with relatively few problems.

What would you say are the skills you learn from installing Manjaro, instead of using Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I've recently switched to Xubuntu 19.10 from Manjaro Xfce. My reasonings:
    * I wanted less frequent updates. Rolling release updates were fun in the beginning but I got bored after some time. Making Timeshift backups before all (maybe not all but many) updates was tiresome.
    * Most linux softwares are packaged as deb/rpm. On Manjaro/Arch, AUR's PKGBUILD scripts download the deb package, unpackage it, package it for Arch and install. This is not an efficient way of installing software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by u30002 View Post
    Stability and reliability aren't the same thing.
    Rolling releases, by definition, are less stable.

I can give 2 examples.
    Once I had problem with 100% CPU on Ubuntu, Manjaro didn't has it at the same time.
    Network Manager: in Xubuntu it lags with certain type of connection and in Manjaro XFCE it works just fine.
    And I can't say form my Manjaro experience (of the last several months) that it's for OS-learners.
    Anecdotes aren't data!
    I could give you dozens of counter-examples but those are anecdotes as well, and the plural of anecdotes still isn't data. And I suspect that even real data wouldn't make fanboys change their minds.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast