Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fanless mini PCs

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Fanless mini PCs

Quote Originally Posted by sterator View Post
    Fanless seems to be a trend; I assume because less heat is produced by possibly a more efficient computer which gets its business done in exchange for less elecctricity expended?
    High performance; fanless; small form factor: pick (at most) two.

Laptops have been the growth market for a long time, so loads of very expensive work has gone into making computers power-efficient. They still need to use power, though, to get anything done, and that heat needs to be dissipated. You either need to limit the amount of work that's being done, use active cooling, or have lots of passive cooling.

Both my NUC and my laptop are great for the tasks I use them for, but just the GPU in my gaming desktop uses some 300 W under load.

The performance available in the restricted power envelope of these laptop components might be perfectly acceptable for your purposes, or you might need more. Only you can really answer that. You might also be able to arrange things so that, like my desktop, your machine is effectively fanless most of the time and only needs active cooling when it's doing significant work; big heatsinks and plenty of airflow make that possible.

The Linux support of these machines isn't generally an issue unless you're quite unlucky, but whether they'll actually meet your needs is another consideration.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Re: Fanless mini PCs

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    High performance; fanless; small form factor: pick (at most) two.
    It seems to me that it is the tablets and phone industry that inspired the recent evolution.
    Intel made a try to equal Arm success in that field.
    The Intel mini PC is still behind for running some Android software but Linux and W10 are
    quite good on it.
    Happy user of Ubuntu-19.04 on a Beelink BT3pro mini PC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12