Thread: Another 'back to ubuntu' thread : )

Another 'back to ubuntu' thread : )

Yup, it's back to lubuntu for me. Why? Because Windows 7/10 are both incredibly slow on my aging Athlon X2 64 5000+ system.

Windows 7 didn't used to be slow, but for some reason it is now. I have the exact same hardware, a fresh install, with only the most important updates installed. Still, it's slow as molasses. No idea why. To Microsoft's credit, they let me upgrade to Windows 10 for free, which was shocking and supercool. But it's just as slow as Windows 7.

And seriously, Win 7/10 is slooooooow! I can hardly do basic web browsing with it, to say nothing of audio recording/editing.

So, I'm pretty much forced to return to linux as my 'primary' OS. I'm going with lubuntu 18.04 LTS. Good ol' LXDE : )

Two questions.

(1) Audacity is better than it once was, but there's still just no substitute for Adobe Audition. Has anyone got that to work in linux? What did you use to do it? (And which version of Audition did you use?)

(2) I own a copy of Office 2016 Professional Plus (64-bit), but last I checked, it didn't work with Wine. I've read that it *does* work with PlayOnLinux, but I've never used that software. I've also heard that only the 32-bit version works. Thoughts?

Other than that, I'm not wedded to any particular Windows software. So if I can get those two issues resolved, I should be good to go.

Beans

Re: Another 'back to ubuntu' thread : )

I've never used it, but I've read that you can use Microsoft Office entirely online now, so you don't have install any software. I think a lot of apps are going to web-based access, MO among them.

And welcome back!

Learning American Sign Language - just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Artim View Post
    I've never used it, but I've read that you can use Microsoft Office entirely online now, so you don't have install any software. I think a lot of apps are going to web-based access, MO among them.

And welcome back!
    Good idea. I thought you had to pay for online Office, but I guess not. At least, it seems to be free for me. All I have to do is login with my (free) MS account.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

looks like crossover provides MSO 2016 compatibility. crossover needs to be payed for, but it is not expensive.

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/tips/microsoft-office-2016/how-to-install
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

What programs do you use in the office suite? Outside of Outlook, I've found OpenOffice provides GUI's similar to MS Office, and can be saved in MS formats as well. For Outlook, many people choose Thunderbird but it is too "webby" for me, I like Evolution and it does all the same stuff - calendars, integration with Gmail, etc.

I'm going to try using online Office 365 instead of native Office 2016. And I'll try to use Audacity instead of Audition.

The next step is to get OneDrive working, which is also essential. I installed it and everything seems to be fine so far. But we will see.

Beans

PlayOnLinux seems to work with Office 2016, for the most part. I've had issues opening powerpoint (crashes) and am unable to log into my university account via the web authentication. Both Word and Excel seem fine though. The online versions of the Office Apps work pretty well, though.

With the possability of Edge on Linux and Teams already here, I'm hopeful there will be an official OneDrive client and Progressive Web App versions of MS office at some point....

Beans

The Wife uses Windows 10 Pro and had to create a Microsoft account to receive the free Windows 10 update and she uses Office 365 online for zero cost.

I can even use Microsoft Office 365 for zero cost using the Wife's Microsoft account.

I usually use LibreOffice although when needed I'll use Microsoft Office 365 for zero cost.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

The web versions of Office 365 are great. But there are some limitations - formatting, image insertion, secure forms, etc - which come up when I'm working with colleagues. Also, the online versions, I think, don't have offline support. Though offline support is probably coming at some point.

LibreOffice has a tendency to break formatting or downgrade document features which, again, causes problems when working with colleagues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jamesjrtripp View Post
    LibreOffice has a tendency to break formatting or downgrade document features which, again, causes problems when working with colleagues.
    You can use the alternative WPS Office (former Kingsoft Office) for better compatibility.