Thread: Ubuntu 18.04 k3b permissions problem

Beans

Ubuntu 18.04 k3b permissions problem

Can someone please tell the correct permissions for cdrdao, wodim and growisofs? I'm not able to successfully burn an .iso to dvd (but I can sure burn coasters). My current settings for cdrdao and wodim are 4711 and for growisofs 0755 and I am a member of the cdrom group. Thank you.

The disks appear to have been written when viewing the underside but are identified by Ubuntu as blank.

EDIT: I tried burning the same .iso using Xfburn and was successful. I guess I should just give up on k3b but it has been my Swiss Army Knife for all things related to cd/dvd for so many years that I hate to give it up...
    Last edited by lou6; January 23rd, 2020 at 09:50 PM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 k3b permissions problem

Honestly I've never ever messed with permissions or even thought to do it for k3b. Just install and run and always works fine. I recently burned an linux ISO to a CD on stock install.

Sorry, can't help, just curious why you'd need to mess with the permissions.

Beans

Because k3b is not working correctly, there have been some reports of permission problems in 18.04 and there are very few user-modifiable things in k3b.

Beans

deleted
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

I found today that this is a confirmed problem (Bug #978621 at Launchpad) originally reported in 2012 that has never been addressed. I'll leave this question open for a while to see if anyone can help but will mark it "solved" if no help appears,,,

Beans

Solved my own problem (always better than asking for help). Uninstalled K3b completely (including hidden files), reinstalled from Software Center. All is well. Marking as solved.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

This is a problem with k3b & Brasero but not xfburn. The way to resolve the permissions problem is:
    Code:
     cd /usr/bin
    Code:
     sudo chmod -v 4711 cdrdao && sudo chmod -v 4711 wodim && sudo chmod -v 0755 growisofs