Thread: How to make a game that will work on Linux?

Beans

How to make a game that will work on Linux?

For good or for bad, I was always a gamer and considered some outside activities as tiring or not entertaining. In fact I was outside 24/7 when I was a kid but thats because it all brought me so much pleasure back then. Now I can probably only get pleasure from gaming, lol. However whenever I play a game I think that I would love to code something similar to it...

I've been putting off this dream of mine and waiting till I install linux. I've finally installed linux recently (had some errors and couldnt install it on old laptop, something related to Grub, but it installed no problemo on new laptop), the reason why I was waiting, is because I didnt want to start making a game that will work only on Windows that i had before.

Now that I have linux installed, I wonder how to start? I don't know anything game programming. I would like to make a 2D or 3D RPG or MMO, or at the very least something with swords where you can fight monsters and collect their loot, do quests etc. But MMO is probably too hard for beginner. So, does anyone know anything about making games on Ubuntu that will work on Linux (but preferably on Windows too)? Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: How to make a game that will work on Linux?

You might want to check out RPG Maker on steam. It's available on Linux.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/363890/RPG_Maker_MV/
    Last edited by Perfect Storm; January 23rd, 2020 at 02:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Also, the Unity game engine, very widely used, from small indie games to major AAA RPGs (for example, Pillars of Eternity), and there's a free license. the Unreal engine is free as well.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Source engine also works on linux.

Godot is easy to get into.
    List: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Thanks for answers! Godot seems interesting honestly

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by momyce View Post
    Thanks for answers! Godot seems interesting honestly
    Nah don't use Godot. GDScript is ugly, hard tolearn, and used only in Godot, not only that but engine is not as good as Unity.

You can run Unity on both Windows and Linux and it also can compile games to both of these platforms. Learning from documentation didn't work for me and may be a bit hard so I'd suggest you to use any tutorial. They are much easier to follow. YouTube is also great source of tutorials. Honestly you choosing anything else than Unity in 2020 is a mistake. This engine is just awesome and very easy to learn.

I've made great things in Unity and im looking to go back to it when I have time.