Thread: How to change wireless card drivers?

Beans

How to change wireless card drivers?

So I wanted to test some other drivers to see if they are going to work with my wireless card. So, let say I wanna test this driver https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/ath9k_htc How do I make backup of driver I currently have and how do I install the new one?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: How to change wireless card drivers?

If there is a Windows driver, you can extract the .exe to get the .info file. Then,
    Code:
    sudo apt install ndiswrapper
    It will most likely be in Syetem Tools. Open it up, and tell it where the .info file is located, and that's all that's there is to it. You may need to reboot.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I am on my cell phone so just a short reply ndiswrapper has not worked in a long time and even when it did it was always the last resort. You may be able to use a different version of your devices driver or set a parameter to help it work better but using one not for your device will not work. Please post the device you are using so some one may be able to help you .
    Last edited by wildmanne39; January 23rd, 2020 at 08:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Please click on the wireless script in my signature, follow the directions for running it and posting the results back here using the pastebin link created, if you need help with the driver you have installed, please tell us what issues you are having, as I said in my previous post a driver parameter may be able to be set to help it perform better or a different version of the driver, ndiswrapper was never a good option even when it did use to work in some cases, it only worked with a 32bit windows driver and has not worked with any new releases for a few years.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Networking & Wireless.