Thread: this laptop seems interesting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

this laptop seems interesting.

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2020/01/...-source-laptop
    I would buy one of these. I like the design and the thoughts behind the design.

only thing is that I guess it will be a lot more expensive than I can afford if it arrives here in Denmark some day.

I like that there is no build in webcam or mic so you can be sure the device is not spying on you . its not features I need for any reason anyway and if I wanted to record something on a lap top I would use a good USB or firewire soundcard and I Never used the webcam on any laptop before so I wont miss that either.

Beans

Re: this laptop seems interesting.

It does look retro. Why would you even want to buy that meme laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It looks like a brick.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't mind how it looks. I think its a pretty interesting laptop and I would buy one of the do it yourself kits if they are not too expensive. I like the idea with no build in webcam or onboard microphone. these two things I never use anyway and the kits makes it possible to build my own lso having a laptop that I would be able to fix myself sounds good.

Beans

looks like laptop for person who served in army lol. or for some hacker-man.

personally, I have only bad experience with laptops so I would go for PC unless i had strong reason not to. Now, the screen of what you linked is too small for me, and despite that this laptop looks "tough" the area where screen is connected to the laptop looks very weak. also weak cpu and low ram amount. depends what you want to do on it tho

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wolftrax View Post
    I think its a pretty interesting laptop
    And it runs on 8 AA lipos! Not thrilled about the tiny display, but that could solve with video ports.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

yes the screen is a little small. I would use those for surfing the net and writing emails and stuff like that.. I used to build my own computers but never a laptop and these diy kits could be interesting to me.

Beans

It looks retro in the wrong kind of way though. I wish it had a really fast cpu and ram hidden inside and the retro was just the look.

I'd rather just get something that's actually old and retro I was using it as just a web surfing linux machine.

I do like the idea that everything is apparently open source, drivers, construction. It's a cool academic project. Would never buy one myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am going to buy one for the purpose of running something like tails or something and I want to learn how to build and fix and perhaps modify it myself.
    however it does depend on price since I can get very cheap laptops and computers that are from the windows 7 era and they are still working.
    my dell optiplex 7010 I just got is a great machine but it cost me only 800 kroner and I can fix that myself if need be,.

I cant do that with laptops. not yet but if I could learn how to fix and repair and build myself I would be very happy so this lappy seems pretty interesting to me