Thread: Samba: Access works via IP, host name: visible but password doesn't work

Beans

Samba: Access works via IP, host name: visible but password doesn't work

I am using Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS.

I have samba configured and I can access shares via the IP address from windows 10 in the form \\w.x.y.z\ShareName. It requests login information, and when entered it works fine.

When I try to access the same server via address \\servername it shows the appropriate shares. But when I click into \\servername\ShareName it requests a password but never accepts it. I have looked online for solutions and see plenty where the server is not accessible at all via hostname, but not where it is accessible but won't take the password, yet works via IP.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

John

Beans

Re: Samba: Access works via IP, host name: visible but password doesn't work

That is a rather odd symptom.

I would suggest trying to access the Server by it's mDNS name ( host name with a .local attached at the end ) to see if that works.

You need to install avahi on the server first:
    Code:
    sudo apt install avahi-daemon
    Then restart smbd:
    Code:
    sudo service smbd restart
    On the Win10 machine access the server this way:
    Code:
    \\servername.local\ShareName

Beans

Re: Samba: Access works via IP, host name: visible but password doesn't work

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    That is a rather odd symptom.

I would suggest trying to access the Server by it's mDNS name ( host name with a .local attached at the end ) to see if that works.

You need to install avahi on the server first:
    Code:
    sudo apt install avahi-daemon
    Then restart smbd:
    Code:
    sudo service smbd restart
    On the Win10 machine access the server this way:
    Code:
    \\servername.local\ShareName

That was it! I can access it using name.local (already had the avahi daemon installed). All I had to do was remove local from the domainname, and all is right with the world Thank you for the help!

John