Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Headphones not working with Ubuntu 18.04.3

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Beans
    4

    Headphones not working with Ubuntu 18.04.3

    Hello.
    I installed Ubuntu (regular Ubuntu; not one of the other flavors) on an external HDD and are running it on an iMac. Anyway, the speakers work, but whenever I plug in my headphones no sound comes out. I've tried solutions online, but none have seemed to fix my problem.

    I've attached the output from alsamixer as well as the sound settings page.

    Thank you for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Beans
    2,971
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: Headphones not working with Ubuntu 18.04.3

    I have no idea about Macs, but I have seen this problem on PCs. Sometimes this will fix it, sometimes not. But, you have nothing to lose. Power off the machine. Plug your headphones in and boot the Mac. See if the headphones work. If they do, unplug them and see if the speakers will now work, too.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Beans
    4

    Re: Headphones not working with Ubuntu 18.04.3

    I don't think just restarting helps. Thank you for the reply, though.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Halloween Town
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

    Re: Headphones not working with Ubuntu 18.04.3

    Thread moved to Apple Hardware Users for a better fit

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Galiza
    Beans
    462
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Headphones not working with Ubuntu 18.04.3

    Quote Originally Posted by linuxsheepdog View Post
    I don't think just restarting helps. Thank you for the reply, though.
    The suggestion was to shutdown ("power off"), not restart. And indeed you have nothing to lose so, why don't you try?

    And are you sure the audio input works? And what kind of headphones are you using? And do the speakers work without the headphones connected?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Beans
    4

    Re: Headphones not working with Ubuntu 18.04.3

    Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    The suggestion was to shutdown ("power off"), not restart. And indeed you have nothing to lose so, why don't you try?

    And are you sure the audio input works? And what kind of headphones are you using? And do the speakers work without the headphones connected?
    It still does not work. They are wired headphones. As I said in my original post, yes, the speakers work but the headphones don't. Thank you for your help.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Galiza
    Beans
    462
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Headphones not working with Ubuntu 18.04.3

    How are you sure the audio output actually works, or that it works with those particular headphones? Have you ever tested those same headphones with another OS in the same machine?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Beans
    4

    Re: Headphones not working with Ubuntu 18.04.3

    Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    How are you sure the audio output actually works, or that it works with those particular headphones? Have you ever tested those same headphones with another OS in the same machine?
    The headphones work with macOS on the same machine.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •