Thread: Problem logging into Aspire 5000

Beans

Problem logging into Aspire 5000

Hi,
    Laptop = Acer
    Model = Aspire 5002
    Series = 5000
    Originally Win XP

This laptop only has CD. The only ISO I could find to fit is ubuntu 14.04.6 - server off http://releases.ubuntu.com/14.04/
    Installed using entire partition eliminating XP.
    Upgrade to 16.? LTS
    Upgrade to 18.04.3 LTS
    Installed Lubuntu-desktop

From there I cannot login. Screen change to black, changes back to login GUI.
    CTR+ALT+F1
    I can login and I have tried many of the suggestion in the Forum but still not there.
    I am not totally new to command line but not use to it and I fumble through it.
    Please help if you know how to solve my issue.

Thx,
    Bob

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: Problem logging into Aspire 5000

Hi, welcome to the fora.

It's safer to install a new Buntu than upgrading. The minimal 19.10 (also known as netboot) fits to a CD and I suggest that you try this one.

Remember to use wired internet access while installing.

At the end on the install process you are offered a GUI. I recommend a light one like X/Lubuntu over Ubuntu.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

I went a different route.
    First I found a program that boots from the CD, from there you can select various boot drives including USB. https://www.plop.at/en/ploplinux/index.html
    Next I found another program, PowerISO that can be used to make a bootable USB Stick. https://www.poweriso.com/
    With this I installed MINT-Cinnamon. Got the same login problem but after a reboot it detected a video problem, reverted to 640x480 and the login worked.
    I further researched I have SIS 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE Video card. There are no Linux drivers that I can find.

I don't think it matters which Linux flavour I install, none of them will work.

Thanks for the recommendation.
    Last edited by cadtoon; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I see @mrgs has mentioned SIS 661/741/760 PCI/AGP before, ie.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2371684

Lubuntu 16.04 LTS, like all flavors of 16.04 LTS (excluding Kylin) had only 3 years of support, and is thus EOL. Ubuntu 16.04 LTS server (no desktop) or desktop (Unity 7 desktop) still have support so maybe an option.

Beans

Thx,
    I followed the link you provided, it looked to me that the problem was not solved.
    I found on another forum that MINT 18.1 would work, it didn't and again only resolution offered is 640x480.
    What I find strange is with all the different installs I have attempted, the resolution during install is better, perhaps 1024. I would be happy with that, even 800. 640 just doesn't cut it.

Bob

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

If you were using a 'live' installer, boot it and work out what is running in that environment to achieve the 'perhaps 1024' resolution. ie. what modules are present (`lsmod`), what driver is in use (`sudo lshw -C video` etc) and then compare with what gets installed.

From any differences, I'd hope ideas on how to work towards would fix would become apparent (or at least to the 'install' resolution/screen-settings).

Beans
    Distro

I'm delighted to see that my old SIS threads are still remembered.

For a new Buntu release VESA drivers might be worth trying. Cadtoon, if you click the Old Hardware link in my signature and search for VESA there should be some instructions.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    I'm delighted to see that my old SIS threads are still remembered.

For a new Buntu release VESA drivers might be worth trying. Cadtoon, if you click the Old Hardware link in my signature and search for VESA there should be some instructions.
    Hi mrgs,
    I have been fighting this for what seems like forever.
    I actually went back to an old 16.04 to get what I thought was old Xrandx. I'm not sure what my Google search was but I stumbled onto this site:
    https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php?topic=4776.0

I took the recommended text and created the xorg.conf file to the x11 folder and it worked! but only up to 1024x768
    Is there new vesa driver available and if yes can you guide me on how to install?

Otherwise I can mark this as solved.

Bob

Beans
    Distro

I don't think Vesa drivers are being further developed. They are available as-is but it's old technology.

If the solution is only possible in 16.04 I would not consider the problem solved but still thanks for considering to mark the thread.

Beans

I did a bare-metal backup of Mint 19, I will restore it this afternoon and see if following the same recommendations work. I will keep you posted.

The restore I did turns out to be Mint 10. What's strange is it resolution is even better 1280x800. I found a file in x11 named default-display-manager with one line /usr/sbin/gdm

Next I tried Mint 19.03, it had issues with the install screen so I didn't get it installed. Mint 18.3 did install but got graphics warning. copied xorg.conf
    Now it boots 1024x768 but still get warning.

Looked up gdm = GNOME Display Manager
    I will try it use it.

Well that didn't work. I got a black screen, not a terminal, displaying gdm start commands with green [OK] but does nothing. I can alt-F3 to get terminal, and that screen flashes, making it almost impossible to type.

Going back to Mint 10 and do upgrades from there. See if I can get to 18

Well, I tried 19-64bit, wouldn't install, tried 18-64bit, wouldn't install. tried 19-32bit and it installed. I have tried everything I can find to do but the best I can get is 1024 with video acceleration error. I installed gdm3 to get 1024. I installed ssdm but can only get 640, I installed lightdm and again only 640.

Going to the Mint Forum to see if I can get help there.

I will keep you posted.
    Last edited by cadtoon; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast