Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem logging into Aspire 5000

Beans

Re: Problem logging into Aspire 5000

Hi,
    I continued on the Mint forum. There are no video drivers for this Acer Laptop. They were dropped for some security reason.
    I'm not sure I'll be back here, so thank you for all your assistance!

You can check out my Mint forum post https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtop...51604#p1751604

Regards,
    Bob

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It would surprise me if Mint offered other graphics drivers than Buntu but you are of course free to try.

I still expect that your best chance is a recent install combined with further VESA experiments.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Well that's it. I can get up to releases of both Lubuntu and Mint to version 18.3. As soon as I go to 19 I have all kinds of install problems. There was one release of Mint 3 that has Mint on a Debian kernel that runs fairly smooth but no one supports the SIS video chipset.

My advice to anyone with an SIS video, don't waste anymore time. My Aspire 5000 will be going to recycle.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Sorry to hear that.

Lubuntu 18 is still supported.

A last purpose before recycling could be to use it for web surfing only while running an old OS. Listening to podcasts and other activity as long as no passwords are entered.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

I got nowhere at Mint. Same problems, it all falls back on Linux. Somewhere back when there was a major change on the code they dropped the SiS support. Saying a security issue. More then likely a legal issue.

I went so far as to put the laptop in a pile of other electronics I have in the garage for recycle. I started going through a bunch of old external drives only to discover the backup software used does not work properly on my Win 8.1 system. I brought the Aspire back in the house and restored what I could of XP. Once I got the backup software working I dug deeper into reviving the XP OS. I currently have it all up-to-date with AVG antivirus installed. I know the system will always have security issues so no banking or anything else that requires a password to enter, including mapped drives to my NAS.

Conclusion: Don't bother wasting your time trying to get any Linux flavour running on an Aspire 5000.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12