Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Xubuntu install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: New Xubuntu install

Quote Originally Posted by daniewicz View Post
    So fefniir2 if your wireless download speeds seem slow you might consider wicd.
    No, you absolutely should not!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    No, you absolutely should not!
    +1, this I agree with.

@OP, IF you continue to have download speed problems there is a --Networking and Wireless-- (link in blue text) sub forum here you should check out; particularly the third sticky thread at the top. IF you are on a wireless connection this sticky has troubleshooting instructions using the wireless-info script. Other wired networking issues can be researched/addressed on the N & W sub forum as well.

Network manager is pretty heavily integrated into the system and if ripped out and replaced may leave your system in a mess. I have used wicd many years ago and found it nowhere near as full featured as NM, it may be of use to some more advanced users (or lucky new users, like myself back when I used it) but is not a path I'd ever advise a new starter on ubuntu to go down (here be dragons ).

If, as I suspect, you are new to Ubuntu/Linux I definitely advise you to stick to a stock standard installation so when problems arise you will find it far easier in getting assistance here. In my opinion sticking with NM will give you better odds of getting good/more timely help. There is NO guarantee randomly replacing a networking utility is going to fix the problem but it carries a VERY high risk of messing up your installation if you make a mistake in the process.

Regards, yeti.
    Last edited by yetimon_64; January 27th, 2020 at 01:34 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

i read that some wi-fi chips are simply poor. so they have bad review even when win 10 is installed. if this is a desktop PC, a cheap solution is well supported wi-fi USB or even a PCI card. raspberry pi stores sell those USB that got thoroughly tested in linux.

cheapest ones (those small tiny ones) are about 7 EUR but you can get stronger ones for about 16-18 EUR. they work well enough and are just plug and play.
    Last edited by mastablasta; January 27th, 2020 at 03:28 PM.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12