Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graphical corruption and overall inusability at boot while trying every ubuntu flavor

Beans

Graphical corruption and overall inusability at boot while trying every ubuntu flavor

Every time I try to boot into a bootable USB with any version of Ubuntu loaded in, as soon as the desktop background loads I'm greeted with graphical corruption and screen tearing on one monitor and total darkness on the other.

The ubuntu flavours I've tried were:

Xubuntu
    Budgie
    Lubuntu
    Kubuntu
    Ubuntu MATE
    Ubuntu

They all show this issue after boot, except Kubuntu that is usable despite the fact navigating the Menu UI causes the graphical corruption and screen tearing to appear, if the Menu is closed it doesn't tend to appear as often.
    I've tried redownloading, retorrenting and reinstalling into a USB each version at least 3 times each, and I've tried different USB keys. Nothing seems to fix this problem.
    Problems started showing after I changed my graphics card from a 750ti to an AMD r9 390.
    Last edited by punstar; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:16 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: Graphical corruption and overall inusability at boot while trying every ubuntu fl

Sounds like a graphics driver problem. Which release have you tried? All Ubuntu flavours use the same kernel, so not much difference there. Kubuntu may have a different method of drawing the screen, which may make it less susceptible to your problem.

Beans

Re: Graphical corruption and overall inusability at boot while trying every ubuntu fl

Each version I tested was 18.04.3 since that's the only version I saw supported on AMD's website.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Try to feed it a 19.10 ISO.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Sure, will the drivers still work for 19.10 though? I'm not very experienced but AMD's website only provides drivers for 18.04.3
    Last edited by punstar; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    Try to feed it a 19.10 ISO.
    I second morgaes recommendation, try 19.10. I'm not sure about your video card but can affirm that AMD Vega 8 graphics integral to Ryzen 2200G do not work on Ubuntu 18.04. I suspect your video card may be of a similar generation or newer. I installed 18.04 HWE kernel & Xorg, that's better but isn't a perfect solution. 19.10 live USB works as I would expect. I hope 20.04 will be as good or better than 19.10 in its support of cutting edge hardware.

Beans
    Distro

Try 19.10 as it is without adding drivers from AMD or other sources.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

I tried with 3 19.10 flavours, Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Ubuntu.
    I still didn't see any improvement for the situation in Kubuntu or Ubuntu, Xubuntu held up for a while but every time I opened the menu it started glitching and if I moved windows a certain way both screens just went black.
    I was able to install Xubuntu on my disk with enough fiddling around but it was the same as I described it in the main post, for the record I wasn't able to install any sort of drivers yet, and trying to check the "additional drivers" section just showed nothing so I'm on the assumption I'm just running on the standard display drivers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

to find out what drivers you are using, open a terminal & post the output of

Code:
    inxi -G
    you might also take a look here https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/re...orad-lin-18-20

it claims support for Ubuntu 18.04 and your card

tommy
    Last edited by NM5TF; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:54 AM. Reason: clarifications
    Registered Linux User # 529389
    Arch Linux, MX 18.3 Linux
    my personal web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"--Unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast