Thread: Wi-Fi passwords suddenly not accepted (multiple Wi-Fi networks)

Beans

Wi-Fi passwords suddenly not accepted (multiple Wi-Fi networks)

This is Kubuntu 18.04 on a Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th Gen, Intel 8265 wireless card. I performed some updates earlier today which I believe included linux firmware updates, and a restart was required. Since I had to reboot, I also took the opportunity to boot into Windows and update it, which included a BIOS update (which I don't expect would cause this problem, but including this just in case).

After rebooting back into Kubuntu, I started getting Wi-Fi authentication errors for networks I was previously connected to: the pop-up window appears titled "Wi-Fi password dialog -- KDE Daemon" with the text "Authenticate (network name)", For accessing the wireless network (network name) you need to provide a password below:"

Even when I enter in the correct password (again) and verify it is correct, the message continues to pop-up as if the password is incorrect. This occurs on 3 different networks (2 different routers), all of which I connected to before.

I tried rebooting. I tried deleting the network profiles for each network. I tried rebooting and reverting to the older kernel.

I'm writing this on a different laptop running Ubuntu Studio and it connects to the same networks fine. No changes have been made on the routers.

Seems like one of the updates hosed the Wi-Fi authentication.

Beans

Re: Wi-Fi passwords suddenly not accepted (multiple Wi-Fi networks)

I've encountered this myself. I found that rebooting the router helped.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Re: Wi-Fi passwords suddenly not accepted (multiple Wi-Fi networks)

I did more testing with all available kernels:

5.0.0-23-generic (oldest) works

5.0.0-37-generic (previous kernel) works although it doesn't work initially at boot with one router: it deactivates, then tries again and successfully connects

5.0.3-26-generic the one just installed doesn't work

Rebooting one of the routers (the more problematic one) did help it reconnect with the older kernel. I don't consider that a viable solution though since some users won't have access to the wireless router they use in order to reboot it. I consider this a bug in the 5.0.3-26 kernel and uninstalled it.