Thread: Trying to send audio to two audio cards at same time, I am confused.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Trying to send audio to two audio cards at same time, I am confused.

I am using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, this is the output from uname -a if it helps.

Code:
    Linux plex780 5.0.0-37-generic #40~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Nov 14 12:06:39 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    If I use aplay -l this is the output

Code:
    a@plex780:~$ aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: AD1984A Analog [AD1984A Analog]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 2: AD1984A Alt Analog [AD1984A Alt Analog]
    card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
    card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
    card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
    card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
      Subdevices: 0/1
    I am running a normal desktop version. If I go into settings - sound I can see outputs for
    Speakers Built in audio, and,
    HDMI/Displayport 4 - GK107 HDMI Audio Controller.

Even though I can have them both 'ON' I can only got audio from one or the other depending on which one I last selected in settings, it seems it can be an exlusive output only?, some times it works more often then not i get nothing.
    I have done some searching and seen one solution is to install paprefs. But, this did not work as I got an error of
    Code:
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable                                                                                                                                        
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created                                                                                                                                        
    or been moved out of Incoming.                                                                                                                                                                            
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:                                                                                                                                              

The following packages have unmet dependencies.                                                                                                                                                           
     paprefs : Depends: pulseaudio-module-gconf but it is not going to be installed                                                                                                                           
               Depends: pulseaudio-module-zeroconf but it is not going to be installed                                                                                                                        
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    As I am probably a bit grey in the head for this I decided that without checking could be bad for my computer!

In case it helps provide information as to why I would like this, I am running OBS Studio and require the audio to be sent to HDMI to an external UDP stream hardware box and to the internal audio card headphones to provide a monitor for my self.

Adrian
    Last edited by adrian-h; January 17th, 2020 at 11:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Trying to send audio to two audio cards at same time, I am confused.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian-h View Post
    Even though I can have them both 'ON' I can only got audio from one or the other depending on which one I last selected in settings, it seems it can be an exlusive output only?,
    Not quite. By default each source goes to one sink. Not all sources need to go to the same sink, though.

PulseAudio comes with the ability to create virtual output devices that do exactly what you're after: mirror the stream to one sink to another sink for monitoring. In KDE, which is what I use, that configuration is simply part of the volume widget. I understand that Gnome's options are more limited, which is why you'd need something extra like paprefs.

Code:
     paprefs : Depends: pulseaudio-module-gconf but it is not going to be installed                                                                                                                           
               Depends: pulseaudio-module-zeroconf but it is not going to be installed
    Looks like a dependency issue. You could try doing all of them at once to try to help the package manager out:

Code:
    sudo apt install paprefs pulseaudio-module-gconf pulseaudio-module-zeroconf
    Otherwise, the configuration option is probably available in a config file as well.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you for the response, sorry I missed it I got no notification, something I need to check in settings.

Yes I use Gnome, which I think was my default installation setting, not sure.

I tried as you suggested
    Code:
    sudo apt install paprefs pulseaudio-module-gconf pulseaudio-module-zeroconf
    [sudo] password for a: 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

pulseaudio-module-gconf : Depends: libpulse0 (= 1:11.1-1ubuntu7.4) but 1:11.1-1ubuntu7.5 is to be installed
                               Depends: pulseaudio (= 1:11.1-1ubuntu7.4)
     pulseaudio-module-zeroconf : Depends: libpulse0 (= 1:11.1-1ubuntu7.4) but 1:11.1-1ubuntu7.5 is to be installed
                                  Depends: pulseaudio (= 1:11.1-1ubuntu7.4)
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    I found this web page
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/7817...utputs-devices

Which basically seems as though the author is trying to do the same thing.

I noticed a recent response which I copied here:-
    Yes, the version of paprefs in Ubuntu 18.04 repos is useless (because it still thinks GConf is in fashion and hence fails to work).
    The best alternative is to, you know, load the module-combine-sink of PulseAudio yourself (because that's all paprefs does behind-the-scene anyway).
    Use command pactl load-module module-combine-sink and check the Sounds section of Ubuntu Settings. – AneesAhmed777 Aug 11 '19 at 16:16

Now I have tried this and it does provide a solution but looks like it needs to be done every time I power on the PC as it is not permanent.

Time for zzzzz

Adrian
    Last edited by adrian-h; January 18th, 2020 at 08:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by adrian-h View Post
    Now I have tried this and it does provide a solution but looks like it needs to be done every time I power on the PC as it is not permanent.
    It's a while since I played with them, but PulseAudio's config files are pretty straightforward. Now that you've found the name of the option, it's just a case of adding that option to the file. I think it's default.pa that loads the modules, but I'm not near my computer to check.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you for your assistance, I added load-module module-combine-sink
    to the end of default.pa and it appears to be working all OK.
    It certainly loads the extra module for it to be in settings audio.

i will now continue on my way with OBS etc

Again thank you.

Adrian