Thread: this reminds me why I stopped using my own printer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

this reminds me why I stopped using my own printer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHX6tHdQGiQ

I was thinking about buying a printer , there is a HP on sale and I could not find any drivers for it for linux on their homepage so I did not buy it. then I figured I would search youtube for videos and perhaps be able to find out if somone had that printer working on linux and I came across this video.

its actually horrible to watch since I seen 5 printers without any ink or DVDs with drivers in our local thrift store today , and two boxes on repleacement ink as well and people throw out printers all the time because its too expensive to buy a new one.

I like to keep hardware around as long as it works. I have had computers from the DOS era that I played around with just because its interesting and while not being useful for anything I just don't think you should throw anything out before it is beyong repair.

we pollute the environment and the population are growing over all the planet and this is simply going to be sustainable in the long run.

when I watch a video like that it reminds me why I stopped using printers at home. its actually more cheap to just use the library and pay for use of their printer and then keep e-books on a USB stick and use email instead of using paper copies.

I wish we could stop throwing out old hardware that still works. I seen so many electronics being dumped to the trash just because its not the newest or most fancy out there and I salvage everything I can get away with.

I think I will pas on that printer I had in mind now. saves me the trouble it seems.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: this reminds me why I stopped using my own printer.

Not a technical support thread.

Thread moved to The Cafe.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!

Cool Re: this reminds me why I stopped using my own printer.

Their is hplip driver for Hp printers. usually installed already on Ubuntu. I had to uninstall hpjis driver
    it was interfering with the other driver. I agree it is easier to put everything on a flash drive and view
    it there especially if it is a lot of pages. One thing to consider for a printer. Is the driver available on
    Ubuntu and is it feasible to do small print jobs like I do or just put it on a flash drive to keep. You have a very valid point.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

yeah I noticed there is drivers for most printers and it maybe work but I don't want to pay for a printer I know is designed to fail and cost me more money than buying a new printer. I want to buy quality and keep things for as long as possible. this is getting harder and harder and electronics is not the industry where things are build to last a lifetime anymore it seems.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by wolftrax View Post
    I want to buy quality and keep things for as long as possible.
    i try to do this as well when possible. i bought some shoes and paid for them an arm and a leg, but they are soft and very well made. i can see that from the stitches. very clean and uniform. and 2 year warranty they came with is no coincidence.

same with other items. if at all possible i avoid cheap eastern stuff. got a kitchen robot for my wife. we couldn't afford it at first (i don't take credits and loans unless they are absolutely necessary). but eventually we saved up for a good one. it does work properly and again by default long warranty, very good reviews, quality made accessories and bowl... worth the cost (5x the price of a far eastern made one) as it will last.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    i try to do this as well when possible. i bought some shoes and paid for them an arm and a leg, but they are soft and very well made. i can see that from the stitches. very clean and uniform. and 2 year warranty they came with is no coincidence.

same with other items. if at all possible i avoid cheap eastern stuff. got a kitchen robot for my wife. we couldn't afford it at first (i don't take credits and loans unless they are absolutely necessary). but eventually we saved up for a good one. it does work properly and again by default long warranty, very good reviews, quality made accessories and bowl... worth the cost (5x the price of a far eastern made one) as it will last.
    Just because something is made in eastern country like China it doesn't mean it is inherently bad. But it is true that they have somewhat liberal quality controls and you should be careful when ordering cheap tech from there.
    Last edited by CorporateMonkey; January 22nd, 2020 at 10:59 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by CorporateMonkey View Post
    Just because something is made in eastern country like China it doesn't mean it is inherently bad. But it is true that they have somewhat liberal quality controls and you should be careful when ordering cheap tech from there.
    of course. but even so mostly the after sales service and quality controls are bad. the appliance should break down after 3 years, so you buy a new one. and quality control are really loose there. we had issues with suppliers. as soon as we introduced our own quality controlers the quality went up high at same price.

my company i snow owned by Chinese, so i see how they work. this made me realise that even if their products are feature rich, innovative, best "bang for the buck" i would avoid them.

now i have great t-shirts made in Indonesia as well as shoes and some other stuff. also most computer hardware is form Thailand or China and you can see they can make a really good product if they want to.

I was surprised when i heard Foxconn is making Iphones. I ran into them just before they started producing the phones. it was a PC motherboard. all instructions in international edition were in Chinese. despite all the quality check labels the motherboard was DoA and got a replacement.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

The special economics of inkjet ink create the waste problem. That's because inkjet printers are merely a delivery mechanism for expensive inks.

Laser printers don't suffer from it nearly as bad. Laser printers are more expensive upfront but the toner they use is 'cheap'. Even better for laser, the toner will wait forever until you use it, whereas ink cartridges will dry out before long.

Beans

+1 for not using inkjets

I replaced an HP inkjet with a Brother HL-3170CDW when that cost $200. It looks like the successor to that printer is the https://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-L3...dp/B07FMS1DMX/. I've used third-party toners without a problem, too.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I saw an new HP color laser hydra (printer/scanner/fax) in Costco that cost less than the price of a set of replacement toner cartridges for the HP printer I currently have. I was tempted, even though the new printer just comes with "starter" toner carts -- 3K pages of color and 7K pages of black, or about half the capacity of the standard refills. The starter carts would last more than a year at my present rate of use.
    regards