Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are system76 computers worth the extra money?

Beans

Re: Are system76 computers worth the extra money?

No fear of that as I don't use windows LOL, but you're right. I've found that installing other distro's to be remarkably painless on my Macs. I'm really leaning to ordering the Galago with Ubuntu installed, as it's what I'm running on two of my Macs, and go from there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thumbs up Re: Are system76 computers worth the extra money?

YES. I am on my second System76 computer. My first is the Lemur5 a laptop with a good sized screen, and I am still urnning Ubuntu16.04LTS on it. Will be going to 18.04LTS later this month, in preparation for 20.04.1LTS. My new laptop is the DarterPro. I am running POP!-OS 18.04LTS on it. Both have been good laptops. The Lemur5 goes for ever on a battery charge, the DarterPro is slightly less but still very good.
    The DarterPro is a polished unit in an aluminium case. It is a lot lighter than the Lemur, and it does not have an optical drive. It does have a bunch of ports: 1XUSB2, 2XUSB3,1XUSB3C thunderbolt, 1XHdmi, 1XVGA, 1 combo earphone digital auto out, 1 microphone, i SD card slot. I have had a couple of problems with the DarterPro, they were individual ones not universal across the product. System76 has made good on the warranty twice now, and that alone is worth the price. They have also helped via email with their customer support. Because of that in some cases I have figured out stuff and helped them to know their product better. Before I have had Toshiba, Acer laptops and netbooks.

I hope the above will help in anyone's decision.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Are system76 computers worth the extra money?

I think they are worth the money, not to mention their great support staff. I recently purchased their Galago Pro 14". However, I'm in Canada and after adding the coversion from US to Cdn $, then adding sales tax it did add to the price. That being said, what I like about it is how much the user can repair/replace on it. Ram, drives, wifi modules, fan, key board to mention a few. There's even an empty drive bay to install additional storage. The basic specs for my machine are:

Galago Pro

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (64-bit)
    14" Matte FHD 1080p Matte FHD Display
    Intel® UHD Graphics
    4.2 GHz i5-10210U (1.6 up to 4.2 GHz - 6 MB Cache - 4 Cores - 8 Threads
    8 GB Single Channel DDR4 at 2666 MHz (1x8GB) - upto 32 GB
    250 GB NVMe Seq Read: 3,500 MB/s, Seq Write: 2,300 MB/s
    No Additional Storage
    United States QWERTY Keyboard
    WiFi up to 867 Mbps + Bluetooth 5
    1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty
    1 Year Canada warranty two way ground shipping coverage