Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: list of vendors that sell hardware ready for Linux

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

list of vendors that sell hardware ready for Linux

of course i know of System 76. i have 2 of their products which i remain happy with. but their current offerings don't encompass my anticipated scope of coming needs. so, i am looking around for more hardware vendors that have offerings they ensure will work with at least Ubuntu. please limit URLs to those that provide a list, instead of linking to the vendors directly.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: list of vendors that sell hardware ready for Linux

If they are now supporting UEFI update from Linux, then that is a major step to full support.
    https://fwupd.org/vendorlist
    https://fwupd.org/lvfs/devicelist
    https://github.com/rhboot/fwupdate/b...ster/README.md
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Is this list any help for you?

https://linuxpreloaded.com/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

i agree that uefi update from linux is one of the main issues here. if not from linux then at least something like freedos or similar free OS should be offered.

otherwise we have a bunch of HP Linux certified PC and laptops here with no OS preloaded or with freedos. they used to sell some with SUSE, but not anymore.

some Acers come with linpus linux preloaded, but i am sure that distro is quite limited in scope. and often full fledged distro has issues to install.

Some Asus laptops here come preloaded with endlessOS. would these work well if we replaced endless with Ubuntu?

Dell offers Ubuntu support.
    Some gaming Lenovo's come with Ubuntu preloaded or with no OS loaded. i checked and looks like they work well with linux.

as for desktop PC - the motherboard is the main issue. MSI looks well, Asus looks descent. i am sure there are others (Gigabyte and Asrock for example) but not all motherboards are equally well supported.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro

they need to work even if i re-install the latest (as of 2020-05 or later) LTS version of Xubuntu over what is pre-loaded (adding drivers is OK as long as they are not needed for disk, basic VGA, and ethernet). UEFI needs to be not deployed, able to be disabled, worked around, or resolved enough so the live/install image and a re-installed system can boot up. their highest end models must work this way.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    UEFI needs to be not deployed, able to be disabled, worked around, or resolved enough so the live/install image and a re-installed system can boot up.
    If you aren't using UEFI then you're doing it wrong.

BIOS was an ancient pile of kludges, weirdness, and undocumented behaviour. No machine uses it now. They're all UEFI, which can be made to emulate those kludges, that weirdness, and that undocumented behaviour.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    If you aren't using UEFI then you're doing it wrong.
    i really don't care. my current laptop is 6 years old and it works. it's from System76 and i'd buy from them, again, if they had an offering that meets my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    BIOS was an ancient pile of kludges, weirdness, and undocumented behaviour. No machine uses it now. They're all UEFI, which can be made to emulate those kludges, that weirdness, and that undocumented behaviour.
    if they all use it then why bring up the issue, unless there is (still) a problem booting up a Linux kernel, including one you compile from your own (possibly modified) copy of the kernel source code? you tell me. can you build a Linux system from pure source code and boot it up on a UEFI system? if i take the latest Ubuntu or Xubuntu ISO hybrid image, dd it (i have my own tool that does this without flooding page cache so it doesn't cause the system to waste time swapping other stuff out and back in) to a USB memory stick device, which boots just fine on this laptop, and boot it on one of today's all-are-UEFI computers?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

probably it is not mean UEFI but windows "secure boot". UEFI is a standard dating back to 2003 or sometime around then. it was first supported by Linux. windows added support for it later one. the issue is secure boot and sometimes fastboot. both should have disable option in UEFI.

issue 2 is updating UEFI. for some reason manufacturers decided you need windows to do that. this is ridiculous. why can't freeDOS do it for example? or at least windows restore /repair disk.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    issue 2 is updating UEFI. for some reason manufacturers decided you need windows to do that. this is ridiculous.
    Generally, you don't, even if the manufacturer gives instructions for Windows users. UEFI can update itself; it doesn't need an external application. Just feed it the file on a thumb drive.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast